new slide rule - 2k16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new slide rule - 2k16

I went to to sleep thinking that Colome had a meltdown (which he did?) and lost the game for the Rays.

I see that Colome didnt. I do wonder what specifically was illegal about the slide. Were Bautista's hands in the way? or was it just the grabbing of the ankle?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/170620...e-to-first-win
    Last edited by swampdragon; 04-06-2016, 07:54 AM.

No attempt to stay on the bag
    Intentionally interfering by reaching out to grab the runner's leg as he was in the process of throwing
    Slid past the bag

Lots of reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      No attempt to stay on the bag
      Intentionally interfering by reaching out to grab the runner's leg as he was in the process of throwing
      Slid past the bag

Lots of reasons
      well, two.

re: the first one, he ended his slide within reach of the bag (I realize that's not part of the new rule but was kind of the working assumption, at least as I've heard it described).

and re: the second one, that was a pretty half-hearted reach/interference. I realize that I'm not impartial, but it seemed like a flimsy way to overturn a ruling & end the game.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

the grab of the leg was clearly intentional. His hand was flat on the ground and then he reaches out & up for something to grab and that's in clear violation of the rule:

The thing is, Encarnacion had that play beaten out and if Bautista had focused on the bag instead of the runner, he's fine. He could have gone feet first at Forsythe and turned in to the right to be on the bag and been within the rules. Interfering with a fielder by grabbing or slapping anything (remember A-Rod/Arroyo incident) has never been acceptable. Why it was not & rollblock tackles were in the past is beyond me, but that was the standard.d

Comment

MoonlightJ - why was Colome still in there pitching? I just read the play by play not watching it?

Did he still good stuff and a few bloop hits or was he out of gas?

Comment

I was watching it live - and Colome looked good, still throwing hard.

Here's Bautista's take ...
            “As far as I understood, I was assuming contact was still okay and obstructing his path was still okay as long as you stay within reach of the bag and your feet were headed toward the bag.”
            “They made a decision to change the application of the rule or adjust it. I felt like I was still within those boundaries and it’s disappointing to see that call be made.”
            “I think player safety should always be a big concern, I just don’t see how my play was unsafe,” .
            watching it in real time, it really didn't look bad at all.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

As an impartial observer - I care nothing about either team - it looks like we will need to see a few more calls clarifying this rule

Comment

No, that was a bullshit play by Bautista...he clearly reached out with the intend of disrupting the throw. As Jasons's post showed, that attempt at the ankle was clearly outside the new rule. Maybe someone should make Bautista actually read the rule, rather than "understand" it.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  No, that was a bullshit play by Bautista...he clearly reached out with the intend of disrupting the throw. As Jasons's post showed, that attempt at the ankle was clearly outside the new rule. Maybe someone should make Bautista actually read the rule, rather than "understand" it.
                  Agreed. Just play the game hard with no bullshit stuff like that.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    MoonlightJ - why was Colome still in there pitching? I just read the play by play not watching it?

Did he still good stuff and a few bloop hits or was he out of gas?
                    He wasn't out of gas - looked fine. 1st hit was a 70 foot flop shot, 2nd broken bat. Didn't command his cutter that well and got away with a couple of hangers

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      No, that was a bullshit play by Bautista.
                      Agreed. He tried to get away with something. He got caught.

Comment

Working...
                      X