RJEL - Big Tymers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL - Big Tymers

Came into the auction with a very cheap and very good set of keepers (imo) coupled with a deep Farm system. Thus, I wanted to do a little Stars and Scrubs feeling I could trade to fill in gaps if need be. "Lost" 2 closers before the year started in Will Smith & Drew Storen and not wanting to pay for saves I figured I would just punt for now which is what happened. As you'll see in the keepers, I had a very cheap top-3 pitchers so with that in mind shifted all my $ to offense planning to pay up to get 3 studs. As yet another price enforcer, I ended up with some guys I wasn't planning on per se but am ok with what I paid.

C = Russell Martin $4 (keeper)
    1B = Miguel Cabrera $48
    2B = Addison Russell $6 (keeper)
    SS = Troy Tulowitzki $35
    3B = Juan Uribe $1
    MI = Jean Segura $20
    CI = Adonis Garcia $3
    OF = Mookie Betts $5 (keeper)
    OF = David Peralta $3 (keeper)
    OF = Marcel Ozuna $8 (keeper)
    OF = Carlos Gomez $45
    OF = Adam Duval $1
    UT = David Ortiz $28
    UT = Didi Gregorius $2
    Reserve = Johnny Giavotella $1

SP = Thor $2 (keeper)
    SP = Stroman $4 (keeper)
    SP = Corbin $2 (keeper)
    SP = Matt Moore $15
    RP = Tony Watson $5
    RP = Hunter Strickland $2 (keeper)
    RP = Drew Storen $2 (keeper)
    RP = Sam Dyson $4
    RP = Jumbo Diaz $1

Reserve = Jesse Hahn $1
    Reserve = Marco Estrada $2
    Reserve = Rick Porcello $7
    Reserve = Eduardo Rodriguez $8

Key Minor Leaguers:
    Glasnow, Alex Reyes, Sean Newcomb, Jameson Taillon, Bradley Zimmer, Austin Meadows, Clint Frazier, Rafael Devers, Jorge Mateo, Ozzie Albies, Anthony Alford, Kyle Tucker, Dom Smith & Raimel Tapia

I bought Cabrera for $48 on the second toss which is several dollars lower than I thought he go for and this ended up being a "value" as all the other studs seem to cross $50. I was in the bidding for several but ended up winning Tulo at $35 and Ortiz for $28 (price enforcing) and while I liked the buys I had to reallocate $ at this point. This league allows for twice-a-week roster setting (Mon-Thur & Fri-Sun) so I like having a lot of relievers and SP to stream for matchups. Hoping I can scrounge 50 saves together from all the setup men but will be active on the wire. At some point in the auction I felt I was going to be light on steals so paid a high price for Gomez and later felt I had the OBA base to support Segura. On the whole, was really happy with my offense but I'll need to get lucky with relievers and playing the SP matchups to make this work. Still, I should have a long window of opportunity with this club so should be fun.

As I write this I am comfortably in 1st place in the standings so clearly this is the team to beat

Yeah, I still don't know why nobody bid with you on Miggy...that was a clear steal. I would have gone higher, but I had other, cheaper targets in mind that I ended up with. Still a hell of a buy. Not as crazy about the 55 dollars worth of shortstops, yeah, you'll get some stats, but that's a LOT of cash to tie up with 2 guys who have questionable pasts. Your OF is great, nothing to quibble about there, and it looks like Papi is going to go out with a bang, so well done there.

Pitching is iffy after Thor, you'll probably be lite on K's unless Moore really is back to being the guy he was becoming before the surgery. Lots of closers in waiting, but no actual closers, as you've already mentioned. You're MUCH higher on Dyson than I am...I can see 3 guys in the pen capable of closing.

Bottom line is that I think that you're a little light on Power, and a little light on pitching, both are areas that can be shored up without a huge problem. Well balanced team that'll be in the race as long as you get the breaks your counting on...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks - no doubt have holes and agree on needing Moore to come thru but that's a guy I wanted to bet on. Also banking that Glasnow gets called up soon enough as he should be a high K guy.

I wanted some high variance guys as I thought I needed upside to win. If Tulo, Gomez and Segura play to their potential they will earn what I paid and more. If they play to last year, then I don't have a chance. Segura's family loss no doubt messed him up so I'll bet on the change of scenery for a guy who can steal north of 30 with double digit HRs. Basically I preferred him vs say Andrus where you know what you get.

In a league with as many awesome owners as this, you need to get a little lucky to win imo.

Comment

I always like the way you draft your teams. This roster is full of a bunch of players I'm high on for this season, especially your keepers.

Offense: Very very solid offense. It's tough to tell what you might be light on because it seems like you have a ton of guys who have a balance of speed and power. This, of course, makes for a roster with no holes, but if you slip it's tougher to fix, because it's hard to know when a guy suddenly stops running and if he'll ever start again. SBs come in bunches unless it's a designated speed guy, like Revere, or someone. You seem to have your stats very well spread out. You'll certainly be less susceptible to a bad injury, and should be almost guaranteed mid-pack level from your hitters even in the worst of cases, much higher in the best. You also have a good mix of youth and experience. Keep an eye on your OBP. Miggy will cover a multitude of sins there, but you do have a couple of OBP anvils. If you start to sag there, you'll need to pick up a cheapie OBP-only guy.

Pitching: I love Stroman. I'm not 100% in on Thor, but $2 is no kind of risk at all. I'm not too high on any of your AL pitchers, but you didn't really overpay for them, so you're okay there. You will need some saves, as you already know, but you might steal quite a few with the guys you have.

Overall: You should be competitive from the outset, and maybe will gain steam as more and more of your army of minor league guys make it to their big clubs. And, at the very least, you'll have tons to trade if you get in striking distance.

Comment

Thanks Tim. After rostering Cabrera with Ortiz, Tulo and Betts I think I felt a little too comfortable with my OBA cushion so agree completely there is some risk there. Martin, Segura & Gomez have had higher OBA marks in the past so their variance will likely make the difference as should I contend some of the other anchors would get upgraded.

Thor looked brilliant yesterday and with greater usage of that slider (albeit with now greater risk to injury) he could be in line for an impressive season. 9Ks against the high contact Royals is kind of ridiculous.

Still think the most likely outcome is a 4-8 finish but a lot can happen between now and Sept.

Comment

Working...
          X