RJEL auction result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL auction result

well, not the best auction for me. my primary problem was not spending up for one of the power studs. ended up with some decent buys, but i'm going to be struggling with both HR and SB (interestingly enough).

was very happy with my mid- and late-game, just not so much the early game.

FWIW, rotolab had the start-of-auction inflation at 44%. zowie.

auction purchases:

33 $24 Ben Zobrist
    45 $26 Shin-Soo Choo
    53 $26 Carlos Santana
    57 $20 James Shields
    76 $20 Victor Martinez
    79 $15 Steve Cishek
    111 $7 David Wright
    125 $10 Jayson Werth
    163 $3 Logan Morrison
    169 $2 Nick Hundley
    182 $3 J.J. Hardy
    191 $1 Yadier Molina
    221 $2 Joey Rickard
    226 $2 Chris Tilman
    230 $2 Hyun-Jin Ryu
    243 $1 Doug Fister
    260 $1 Pablo Sandoval
    277 $1 Matt Cain

VMart i got stuck jumping the bid up - expected somebody else to go higher and it didn't happen. i had him valued at around that, but at that point players were already going for under value, so it was a slight overspend.

Cishek was the only even reasonable closer left at the point i bought him, and i needed the saves. another slight overspend, but i was OK with it.

after that the only one i was unhappy with was Molina. i was distracted at the point, and at the last moment threw him out, (stupidly) thinking one of the other GMs that needed a C would top me. i mean, he's not a bad $1 C, but i already had a $2 hundley, so... at least it was only $1.

took some flyers on Ryu, Fister, Panda, and Cain. maybe they'll give some value...

combined with my keepers, my final lineup is:

C - Nick Hundley $2
    1B - Carlos Santana $26
    2B - Cesar Hernandez $4
    3B - David Wright $7
    SS - J.J. Hardy $3
    MI - Ben Zobrist $24
    CI - Logan Morrison $3
    OF - Shin-Soo Choo $26
    OF - Corey Dickerson $11
    OF - Kevin Kiermaier $4
    OF - Steven Souza $1
    OF - Jayson Werth $10
    U - Victor Martinez $20
    U - Yadier Molina $1

BN - Pablo Sandoval $1, Joey Rickard $2

P - Madison Bumgarner $36
    P - Steve Cishek $15
    P - Wade Davis $10
    P - Jorge De La Rosa $1
    P - Sonny Gray $9
    P - Dallas Keuchel $10
    P - James Shields $20
    P - Chris Tillman $2
    P - Justin Verlander $13

BN - Matt Cain $1, Doug Fister $1, Hyun-Jin Ryu $2

i have me predicted right smack-dab in the middle of the standings. i'll be fine in pitching, will struggle in hitting.

i have some aging/fragile vets that i'll need to have good years (Wright, Werth, Hardy, maybe Panda, Cain) if i'm to compete at all.
    Last edited by bryanbutler; 04-05-2016, 02:37 AM. Reason: forgot Ryu
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

18 teams, right? I am not real familiar with analyzing 18 team leagues so here goes.

Choo and Zobrist need to really produce. Without seeing the other teams, your hitting looks like it could be among the worst in the league and thereby you'll have no shot at the title.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think you nailed the self-analysis -- you have way too many old, fragile vets, plus a closer who many here expect to be an ex-closer soon.

I think I was bidding on VMart. If you didn't want the guy, why bid on him at all?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I think I was bidding on VMart. If you didn't want the guy, why bid on him at all?
        As a price-enforcer, I've found that I have to make sure my spreadsheet auction values really take down players I don't want. So if I specifically didn't want VMart, I would have a calculated adjustment for age, position, etc and/or a manual one where I can go row-by-row and knock down the guys I don't like. I also make sure the projections I use don't wildly disagree on players that I feel I know (e.g. espn with both CarGos in their top 17 OF).

As a real case, I know won't end up with VMart, because I dock him for age. But if I do happen get him at the discounted value, I won't be mad at myself (happened last year with me getting Jay Bruce for $17 and Lucas Duda for $14).
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          As a price-enforcer, I've found that I have to make sure my spreadsheet auction values really take down players I don't want. So if I specifically didn't want VMart, I would have a calculated adjustment for age, position, etc and/or a manual one where I can go row-by-row and knock down the guys I don't like. I also make sure the projections I use don't wildly disagree on players that I feel I know (e.g. espn with both CarGos in their top 17 OF).

As a real case, I know won't end up with VMart, because I dock him for age. But if I do happen get him at the discounted value, I won't be mad at myself (happened last year with me getting Jay Bruce for $17 and Lucas Duda for $14).
          I never play the price enforcer. If i don't want a guy, like Revo said, then i don't bid on him. So what if someone else gets a player that i don't want for less than some arbitrary and perceived value.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            I never play the price enforcer. If i don't want a guy, like Revo said, then i don't bid on him. So what if someone else gets a player that i don't want for less than some arbitrary and perceived value.
            "Don't want" is a relative term. Practically speaking, I don't want Ryan Braun. But I really want him at $1. If I truly don't want a guy (e.g. a Colorado starting pitcher), I force his value below $0.5.
            All the values are arbitrary, but they let me apply my thinking before the auction.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I don't price enforce very much at all in the CBS draft room. I find it's a waste of energy clicking back and forth to see what other people need, when I can probably do a better job just worrying about my own team. Live auctions are a totally different story.

Okay, about your team. First, don't agonize over $1 picks. Molina may not pan out for you, but he's SO easy to replace and there are SO many options to replace him at your UT. Don't stress that at all. I have always said: there is no such thing as a bad $1 pick. We will have have to cut chaff, but when it's a $5 starting pitcher (I'm looking at you, Niese) or a failed closer who you paid full value for, it hurts a lot more.

The self-analysis is strong in this one. You will need power and speed, but you seem to have a good deal of hitters in good situations, so you may surprise in OBP, R and RBI. Perhaps, you are a little more fragile than you should be with guys like Wright, Morrison, Dickerson and Werth in prime production positions. That said, I absolutely love the Sandoval pick, one of my favorite in the whole draft.

Your pitching is more solid. I like it from top to bottom. You will need more saves, but Cishek was a good grab for only $15. I really like Bumgarner, Keuchel, and Gray at the top. That's as workmanlike a starting three you are going to find anywhere.

I think you will need to rebuild, but you have some good pieces to work with.

Comment

thanks for the comments, all.

i was very pleased with my $1 fat panda buy. was shocked that nobody topped me, since a few folks still could have. oh well.

and, to be clear, i didn't mean to imply that i was horrified with a $20 VMart. if i wasn't willing to pay that i wouldn't have bid. at that point in the auction there wasn't much power left at all, and i desperately needed it. i just wish i had saved a few bucks by not jumping the bid quite so much.

here's to hoping my old folks home/hospital team manages somehow to stay healthy. (yesterday was watching the nats game, and when werth slid into a.j., and came up limping slightly, i thought "oh boy, here we go already!"...)
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                X