RJEL - I know how I did but you can laugh at me here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL - I know how I did but you can laugh at me here

I knew I had a very good but not the best keeper list, and I wanted to make sure I got a couple good pitchers and some speed. But at some point I kept seeing pitchers I liked and probably going too high on some of them, and things happened, and I ended up with six $1 players on my offense. In my defense I don't hate the ones I got, but... not quite what I planned.

18-team 5x5 using OBP, 1 catcher, 2 util, massive inflation (first-round players are in the $50-$60 range), keepers in bold.

C: Castro $1 (I feel like spending more than a dollar on C in this league, you have to have a pretty good reason for it. I thought I was going to get Ramos here but someone who already had a catcher took him for a UT slot which I was surprised by. Castro looked good this spring and was an All-Star once, so I figured he was worth a shot.)

1B: Davis $17
    2B: Dozier $8
    3B: Valencia $5
    SS: Ahmed $1 (He'll play a decent amount, and I have JP Crawford who I hope to have up by midseason.)
    MI: Forsythe $1
    CI: Reynolds $1 (1B/3B qualification can be useful and I think he's going to get 300-400 AB, half in Coors.)
    OF: Trout $25
    OF: Calhoun $12
    OF: Saunders $1 (maybe he'll be healthy?)
    OF: Ruf $1 (Phillies mgr Pete Mackanin on Ryan Howard: "He’s a player who is playing baseball. I don’t see him having a role. He’s got a big stature in the game. He means a lot to the organization. He’s trying to show us he’s still capable." I think Ruf is going to play a good amount.)
    OF: Dyson $15
    UT: Fielder $32
    UT: Casali $1 (in case Castro sucks; will be replaced by Tyler White or AJ Reed as appropriate)

bench: Van Slyke $1, Reyes $9 (I probably should not have bought him.)
    I also have Jabari Blash in case he ends up getting any PT.

P: Doolittle $1
    P: Fiers $3
    P: McGee $4
    P: Vizcaino $5
    P: Scherzer $45
    P: Tyson Ross $27
    P: Smyly $23 (I really like him but maybe this was a bit much)
    P: Kazmir $12
    P: Buchholz $8

bench: Greene $4, Carson Smith $1, Givens $3

I have never had a 50/50 hitting/pitching split. Not thrilled about it this time, but we'll see how it goes.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I was only really surprised by Kershaw going so high. Maybe it's because he so was early?

When I look at my team post-draft, my roster appears to be the mirror opposite of yours.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    I knew I had a very good but not the best keeper list, and I wanted to make sure I got a couple good pitchers and some speed. But at some point I kept seeing pitchers I liked and probably going too high on some of them, and things happened, and I ended up with six $1 players on my offense. In my defense I don't hate the ones I got, but... not quite what I planned.

18-team 5x5 using OBP, 1 catcher, 2 util, massive inflation (first-round players are in the $50-$60 range), keepers in bold.

C: Castro $1 (I feel like spending more than a dollar on C in this league, you have to have a pretty good reason for it. I thought I was going to get Ramos here but someone who already had a catcher took him for a UT slot which I was surprised by. Castro looked good this spring and was an All-Star once, so I figured he was worth a shot.)

SS: Ahmed $1 (He'll play a decent amount, and I have JP Crawford who I hope to have up by midseason.)
    CI: Reynolds $1 (1B/3B qualification can be useful and I think he's going to get 300-400 AB, half in Coors.)
    OF: Ruf $1 (Phillies mgr Pete Mackanin on Ryan Howard: "He’s a player who is playing baseball. I don’t see him having a role. He’s got a big stature in the game. He means a lot to the organization. He’s trying to show us he’s still capable." I think Ruf is going to play a good amount.)
    UT: Casali $1 (in case Castro sucks; will be replaced by Tyler White or AJ Reed as appropriate)

I have never had a 50/50 hitting/pitching split. Not thrilled about it this time, but we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by WestwoodJude View Post
      I was only really surprised by Kershaw going so high. Maybe it's because he so was early?
      I was prepared to break $50 on Kershaw, but not $58. I'll post my roster a little later for everyone to 'have at it'
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

I think that you overpaid for pitching, and I'm not sure that it's good pitching...Ross got roughed up today, and so did Smyly. That won't continue, but I'd be a little concerned. I think that Doolittle is going to be an adventure in the 'pen as well. Obviously love Max, and I think that Vizcaino will be the closer by the trading deadline.

I like your offense, Saunders was one that I was targeting, but just didn't have the topper money. I see plenty of power, but a little short on speed...

I think with some luck, and the right moves during the season, you'll be in contention.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I like your team. With the exception of Scherzer and Ross, your salaries are all reasonable, and those were the going prices for top pitchers this year. You have some holes in your offense, but then we all do, but yours should be well-patched by your own bench/minors. I really like the Ruf and Van Slyke pickups. I also really like Blash. I think he'll give you some nice pop as the season warms up, but he'll kill you in OBP. You will really need your good OBP guys to be solid this year to make up for some low OBP guys.

I really like how you have managed some saves on the cheap. Closers are a rough business and you've side-stepped that well.

I think you'll be in the hunt, but you'll need some luck to really challenge for a title. After Trout and Scherzer, this team feels like it's filled with the second tier, which will keep you in the mix, but will keep you out of the money, most likely.

Comment

Working...
          X