12 Team NL Only HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Team NL Only HDID

I had my 12 team NL only draft yesterday. I finished third last year so I didn't dump but went in with a solid list. Wondering what you folks think. It's a 5x5 league with the normal hitting categories but we use Sv + 1/2 H instead of saves. We just switched from straight Saves to the Saves plus 1/2 a hold this year so I wasn't sure how that would work.

C YGrandal 9 C16
    C DNorris 9 A
    1B MReynolds 1 B
    CI MDuffy 10 C16
    3B NArenado 15 C17
    2B BZobrist 16 A
    MI JHarrison 25 A
    SS RTejada 1 A
    OF CBlackmon 13 C18
    OF DPeralta 11 B
    OF HPence 23 B
    OF GParra 30 A
    OF PBourjos 8 A
    UT TThompson 1 A

P MBumgarner 32 B
    P TRoark 5 B
    P JNicasio 1 B
    P SKazmir 15 A
    P DPomeranz 13 A
    P AWood 14 A
    P HStrickland 1 B
    P SKelley 4 A
    P AWarren 4 A
    P JDiaz 4 A

I have Corey Seager who will go right into Tejada's spot. I drafted him because he was on the DL and I could keep him and not have to waive someone.

I didn't plan on getting six starters but I couldn't get a closer so I put that money into another starter and a second catcher. I also thought that Roark and Nicasio are not locks to keep their jobs.

I felt Norris was a good price so I went for it. Parra was too much money but he was the last one left, I had waited too long so I needed to overspend a little to get hm.

What do you think?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Anyone?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Good job!!

You seemed to allocate the right total $ to hitting and pitching, based on your needs.

Norris $9 and Zobrist $16 were terrific buys. More than make up for Parra; I think you did great on hitters.

My only quibble is the allocation of dollars within pitching. I don't think you have much to show for the $54 you spent on it...$12 for those last three pitchers - mighta been nice to get one low-end closer (Jeffress/Rodney/Hoover) and two $1 pitchers instead...and while I like the upside of the SP you picked, after Bumgarner, I don't have any of your other SP ranked in my top 30 NL SP...so that's a concern. No closers and only one of the top 30 SP. I tend to be more stars and scrubs, so take this with a grain of salt.

Comment

Offense: Love it. That outfield is awesome for a 12-team only. And you also have Arenado and Zobrist. Your offense should be in fine shape. You may be hurting for steals, but that will probably depend on where the steals are mounting in your league. If a few owners have a lot of steals and are duking it out for the top three spots, you could sneak into fourth. If the steals in this league are evenly spread out, I can envision you struggling to get out from under a big pack in the middle. Looks like you drafted Zobrist for $16!? I've been in three 12-team NL only drafts so far and he's gone for $24, $25 an $26. A steal for you. You also have some decent positional flexibility. I like this offense a lot.

Pitching: I'm not high on Roark or Nicasio either, but both are fine risks for $6 total. Both play on good teams with great pitching coaches and not in crazy hitters parks. Roark has displayed dominance before and had a phenomenal Spring. Nicasio also looked good, but I'm more down on him as a starter. I really like your relievers to generate the stats to overcome whatever lapses your starting staff may have, but I don't see too many saves coming from that bunch. Maybe Diaz, maybe Strickland, but they're both a couple of players away from the ninth.

For a 12-teamer, I think you're definitely in the hunt, and probably a contender if you get one closer to keep you out of the basement there.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
          Good job!!

You seemed to allocate the right total $ to hitting and pitching, based on your needs.

Norris $9 and Zobrist $16 were terrific buys. More than make up for Parra; I think you did great on hitters.

My only quibble is the allocation of dollars within pitching. I don't think you have much to show for the $54 you spent on it...$12 for those last three pitchers - mighta been nice to get one low-end closer (Jeffress/Rodney/Hoover) and two $1 pitchers instead...and while I like the upside of the SP you picked, after Bumgarner, I don't have any of your other SP ranked in my top 30 NL SP...so that's a concern. No closers and only one of the top 30 SP. I tend to be more stars and scrubs, so take this with a grain of salt.
          Thanks, I'm happy with the team.

I would have preferred to get a closer but I didn't like the prices they were going for. The good ones were going for around $20 and I felt that was too much. Jeffress and Hoover were kept, Rodney and Hernandez went for $9 or $10 but I just couldn't bring myself to drafting them. We count 1/2 a hold a long with saves so I loading up on the set up guys will get me some points and I think all of Diaz, Strickland and Kelley will get some saves at some point. The 1/2 hold is new to league so we are all still unsure how it will play out. I think people were spending too much on closers. Starting pitching also went for too much, Carlos Martinez went for $26, Teheran $22, Maeda $17 for example. There are always trades to be made.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            Offense: Love it. That outfield is awesome for a 12-team only. And you also have Arenado and Zobrist. Your offense should be in fine shape. You may be hurting for steals, but that will probably depend on where the steals are mounting in your league. If a few owners have a lot of steals and are duking it out for the top three spots, you could sneak into fourth. If the steals in this league are evenly spread out, I can envision you struggling to get out from under a big pack in the middle. Looks like you drafted Zobrist for $16!? I've been in three 12-team NL only drafts so far and he's gone for $24, $25 an $26. A steal for you. You also have some decent positional flexibility. I like this offense a lot.

Pitching: I'm not high on Roark or Nicasio either, but both are fine risks for $6 total. Both play on good teams with great pitching coaches and not in crazy hitters parks. Roark has displayed dominance before and had a phenomenal Spring. Nicasio also looked good, but I'm more down on him as a starter. I really like your relievers to generate the stats to overcome whatever lapses your starting staff may have, but I don't see too many saves coming from that bunch. Maybe Diaz, maybe Strickland, but they're both a couple of players away from the ninth.

For a 12-teamer, I think you're definitely in the hunt, and probably a contender if you get one closer to keep you out of the basement there.
            I wasn't planning on getting Zobrist, I had him valued at $24 as well but no one said $17. A few people just shook their head. I'm happy. Speed is a touch light but in the hunt that a trade can't fix if needed. Same goes for a closer but I think I'll be getting plenty of holds out of that group. I won't argue you with the starters, they are unproven but I like them. As you say, $6 for Roark and Nicasio is not a lot to pay.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

So far so good. I'm in first by 15 points. My hitting is insane, as you can see, I have 56.5 out of 60 possible points.

Code:
              R	HR	RBI	SB	AVG
              12.0	11.5	12.0	10.0	11.0
              My pitching, as people thought is in need of a closer. 1 point in saves/holds so far. But my starters have probably done better than people expected, Pomeranz has been a beast and Roark is back to his 2014 form. Kazmir sucks but Wood is coming around. He pitches great at home and awful on the road (with the exception of his last great start in SD).

Code:
              W	ERA	WHIP	SO	SVHO2
              11.5	11.0	10.0	12.0	1.0
              So I'm wondering, with everything running so well, do I need to get a closer? Here is what the bottom looks like:

I doubt I could ever catch the top of this group of teams unless I get two closers but I don't think I have the resources to pull that off. Trading for one might get me a few points but is it worth it? If I trade a starter for a closer I'll likely drop some points in Wins and Strikeouts negating the gain I make in Saves/Holds.

So, what do you guys think?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

you look fine to me
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  So far so good. I'm in first by 15 points. My hitting is insane, as you can see, I have 56.5 out of 60 possible points.

Code:
                  R	HR	RBI	SB	AVG
                  12.0	11.5	12.0	10.0	11.0
                  My pitching, as people thought is in need of a closer. 1 point in saves/holds so far. But my starters have probably done better than people expected, Pomeranz has been a beast and Roark is back to his 2014 form. Kazmir sucks but Wood is coming around. He pitches great at home and awful on the road (with the exception of his last great start in SD).

Code:
                  W	ERA	WHIP	SO	SVHO2
                  11.5	11.0	10.0	12.0	1.0
                  So I'm wondering, with everything running so well, do I need to get a closer? Here is what the bottom looks like:

I doubt I could ever catch the top of this group of teams unless I get two closers but I don't think I have the resources to pull that off. Trading for one might get me a few points but is it worth it? If I trade a starter for a closer I'll likely drop some points in Wins and Strikeouts negating the gain I make in Saves/Holds.

So, what do you guys think?
                  Do you think you can win getting a "1" in a category?

I am in the same boat in my 13 team mixed league. I am getting 3 points in saves, but have been in 1st or 2nd the last few weeks. I'm not sure i can win the league getting such a low point total in Saves.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    you look fine to me
                    What he said.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Do you think you can win getting a "1" in a category?

I am in the same boat in my 13 team mixed league. I am getting 3 points in saves, but have been in 1st or 2nd the last few weeks. I'm not sure i can win the league getting such a low point total in Saves.
                      If I can hold the other categories, then yes I think I can win with 1 point in saves. I'll need to improve my offense and starting pitching, I know I won't have enough to keep the stats where they are as other teams will improve as well.

So I guess for now I'll stick with what I have and hope that someone gets some saves here and there. Thanks guys

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I made a trade today, Wood and Strickland for Ziegler and Strop. The key is that Ziegler's contract is $2B. He can be kept next year and can be extended if I want. I might try to trade him for a dead contract closer plus someone else. One team that is out of it has Melancon and Domingo Santana, both unkeepable.

Good trade?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Make that deal in a minute if you can. Ziegler's peripherals scare me.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Make that deal in a minute if you can. Ziegler's peripherals scare me.
                            True, though haven't his peripherals been this way forever?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              True, though haven't his peripherals been this way forever?
                              They're worse than in the past. But it's a good deal for you regardless

Comment

Working...
                              X