DMT's auction plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMT's auction plan

I've always appreciated JJ's write-ups so I'll give it a stab. I've listed a few targets in each slot, in order of preference. Our auction is next Saturday because we our going to Rockies Opening Day on Friday.

League: 12-team mixed 5x5 with OB and Slug replacing BA & HR.

Keepers:
    Goldschmidt 14
    Travis 1
    Turner 5
    Marte 10
    Conforto 6
    Bumgarner 30
    Carrasco 10
    Salazar 6
    Casilla 3
    Doolittle 1

Budget target: 180/80

Hitter Targets:

$1 C: Mesoraco, Realmuto, Ramos
    $60 stud (CI or OF): Miggy, Stanton, McCutchen, Votto, Bautista
    $35 mini-stud (CI or OF): Pujols, Gomez, Upton
    $20 2B: Kipnis, Kinsler
    $5 SS: Desmond, Story, Kang, Castro, Andrus, Marte, Semien
    $3 MI (w/Travis on DL): Forsythe, Aybar, Solarte, Hernandez
    $1 CI (or OF): Castellanos, Olivera, Cron, Moreland, Lind, Bour, Bradley, Werth, Myers, Melky, Rasmus
    $15 OF: Choo, Eaton, Brantley, K Davis, Gardner
    $5 OF: Revere, Holliday, Ozuna, Bruce, Trumbo

Pitcher Targets:

$15 SP: Maeda, Verlander, Samardzija
    $10 SP: Ventura, Pineda, McCullers
    $5 SP: Fiers, Hendricks, Velasquez, Chen, Hammel, Kennedy, Gausman, Roark
    $5 CL: Ramos, Street, McGee, Perkins, Gregerson

Bench targets:

Travis
    2 hitting prospects: Crawford, Turner, Mazara, Reed, Arcia
    1 pitching prospect: Giolito, Urias, Glasnow, Snell, Berrios
    1 CL (or Madson or Strickland to handcuff)
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Forgot to mention that I have calculated inflation at a whopping 50% so that is why I'm expecting the top-tier guys to hit at least $60. Last year's most expensive players were Miggy for $74, Gomez $65 (to me, doh), Bautista $61, Cano $50, Votto $44 (my brother didn't keep him, foolishly IMO)
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Comment

I love your keeper list.

I think you have some maybe most of your $5 targets to low.

I would not pay $15 on Samardzija. Let someone else take the risk. I did bring out his name early in our NL only league to get some money off the table. I think he went for too much at $19. But I can see that if the owner was a fan he would think he got a good deal.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I love your keeper list.

I think you have some maybe most of your $5 targets to low.

I would not pay $15 on Samardzija. Let someone else take the risk. I did bring out his name early in our NL only league to get some money off the table. I think he went for too much at $19. But I can see that if the owner was a fan he would think he got a good deal.

Good luck.
        Thanks. Yea, I'm expecting many of them to go higher than $5, but just keeping them on the radar. Always seems like a handful of $10-12 guys slip through. Yea I'll probably move Samardjiza down to the $10 tier. I do think he'll rebound but not worth paying that much to find out. I'd be happy with 2 of the $10 guys so I have some flexibility in case I need to overpay for the top hitters.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Thanks. Yea, I'm expecting many of them to go higher than $5, but just keeping them on the radar. Always seems like a handful of $10-12 guys slip through. Yea I'll probably move Samardjiza down to the $10 tier. I do think he'll rebound but not worth paying that much to find out. I'd be happy with 2 of the $10 guys so I have some flexibility in case I need to overpay for the top hitters.
          I think Kang would be a very good target if you can wait the few weeks until he comes back. He is going to be very good and never cheaper.

I also like Vincent Velasquez a lot. He went for $14 in our AL only 5x5 12 team. I wish I would have went the extra buck.

Comment

I had been typing out a long response and this annoying platform erased it all when I accidentally pushed back on my wife's laptop (as I lost mine). So annoying...here's my team. Not thrilled but all the studs I targeted went for >$67 (except for Votto at $61).

C Realmuto 1
            1B Goldschmidt 14
            2B Wong 21 (Kipnis 29, Kinsler 28)
            3B Turner 5
            SS Desmond 15 (Story 13 as first player tossed, Kang 13, Castro 14, Andrus 1, Semien 2)
            CI Davis 58 (last top slugger left so I got bid up for $50 as everyone egged him on to keep bidding me up)
            MI C Hernandez 1
            OF Marte 10
            OF Conforto 6
            OF Cespedes 36 (I nominated him 2nd and was very surprised when bidding stopped)
            OF Souza 2
            OF Mazara 1
            UT Castellanos 1

P Bumgarner 30
            P Carrasco 10
            P Salazar 6
            P Tanaka 14
            P Samardzija 5
            P Velasquez 2
            P K Hendricks 2
            P Casilla 3
            P Doolittle 1

RES Chapman 16 (one of many mistakes)
            RES Taylor 1
            RES Fiers 1
            RES Gausman 1
            RES Travis 1
            RES O Arcia 2

I somehow didn't get another closer despite plenty going for 5 or less. Hopefully I don't fall behind too far or find a waiver replacement. I could have had Miggy 68 and Pujols 27 for the 95 I had budgeted but Cespedes ruined those plans.

My mid-game was awful (Wong, Desmond, Chapman) and probably had a little bit to do with the fact that one owner's cousin who was there for some reason brought back three semi-attractive ladies who were ready to party. And by party I mean blow and sex. They walked in to the condo to see 12 old dorks on laptops (thankfully another owner had brought two). One of them came up to me and closed my laptop so we could chat. At one point I said, 'ok auction's over'. One of them even decided to lift up her shirt and show us all that she wasn't wearing a bra. Although I don't partake, there was an 8-ball in house. Somehow nothing happened. It was the quintessential 'Welcome to your 40s' moment. The bra-less one said as she was leaving 1/2 hour later, 'you're nice guys...but we're not coming back'. While my laptop was closed I missed out on McCullers 2 and Jeffress 3.

I think I did recover in the end-game, and the fact that the defending champion paid 20 for Choo but couldn't outbid me on Mazara was very satisfying. Velasquez at 2 is also fantastic and I was pleased with Souza 2, Castellanos 1, Hendricks 2, & Gausman 1. No idea why I'm so hard for Shark but $5 seems like it could pay off big. Hopefully Arcia gets the call. I wanted Trea Turner but he went for 4, beyond my max bid at that point.

Anyways, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading and if you ever have the chance to attend Rockies opening day, it's an awesome party.
            Last edited by DMT; 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

How did you get Cespedes?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                How did you get Cespedes?
                Good question.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                X