Jorge Soler vs Michael Taylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge Soler vs Michael Taylor

Wonder what the pen thinks of these two OFers. Both are in similar situations:

Shared pros: They have strong pedigrees, have been in the majors long enough to flash their potential.
    Shared cons: Neither has put it all together yet, and both have lost their shot at starter ABs via trade.

I have both of them at $5 and have room to keep one. Thinking of keeping Soler, because I think he may get traded. Taylor, though, I think has a clearer path to ABs on his current team.

I agree with your assessment, but I gotta keep Soler.

Comment

Definitely Soler for me.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yeah, I figured it might be an obvious answer. I guess the recent grumblings of him doing poorly in the field this spring coupled with Taylor doing well gave me pause. It wouldn't surprise me to see Taylor play his way past Revere, or replace Werth for a long injury. Hard to see many ABs for Soler without a trade. But his upside is to hard to pass up.

Comment

Taylor for me. He has power and speed. He has to share time with old and oft injured players.

Soler has to share bats with young healthy studs. I think the Cubs would rather have Soler on the team and coming off the bench than trading him for another piece.

Comment

Tough call. If you need SB, it's clearly Taylor. Overall your reasoning is spot on. I lean Taylor as I'm not a Soler fan.

Comment

I'd say Soler...I really can't see the Cubs holding on to him with the current OF configuration, and he can bring a needed pitcher right now if they choose to go that way.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I'd say Soler...I really can't see the Cubs holding on to him with the current OF configuration, and he can bring a needed pitcher right now if they choose to go that way.
                I get the point, but tell me more about this needed pitcher, Hornsby. The rotation is Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks in some order. I can't see the Cubs dealing Soler for a reliever.

Comment

I probably choose Soler as Fowler only has a 1 yr deal so he might he gone 2017 opening up a spot in the OF. Taylor is blocked by the insane 2 yr 42 mil contract named Werth. Taylor will still get plenty of ABs but won't be in a full time role.

Comment

I'd rather keep Taylor because his speed can make a bigger impact in 250 ABs. Plus Fowler/Heyward/Schwarber with Zobrist and Baez lurking is a tough place to get ABs, even with Madden making the effort. Compare that to Revere/Werth/Harper, with Clint Robinson and the other guy who is like Clint Robinson, and both of the extra guys potentially getting time at 1B when Ryan Zimmerman gets hurt.

(I looked it up... Tyler Moore is the other Clint Robinson guy)

Comment

I'd go with Soler. I think the "he has no where to play" mantra is way overblown in cases like this. It's easy to forget that the 9th player on every team plays a ton. (I've found that solid 4th outfielders are a great source of $1 bargains in only-league because they still get 400-450 at bats.) Throw in that Maddon is the absolute best at giving everyone playing time, plus the fact that the Schwarber is going to catch a bit, and I have a feeling Soler is going to play quite a bit more than people are suggesting. I'd be targeting him as a player that is going to be undervalued in just about every draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        I get the point, but tell me more about this needed pitcher, Hornsby. The rotation is Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks in some order. I can't see the Cubs dealing Soler for a reliever.
                        Seen what's happening with the Dodgers? Lester already has bone chips in his elbow (had them for years...right), Lackey is 38, Hammel simply isn't that good...you get a young pitcher for an extra piece, you should do it.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                        X