5th pick in 12-team mixed 6x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th pick in 12-team mixed 6x5

Just joined my first mixed league in years and I've got the 5th pick. The categories are a bit different than I'm used to - it's R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG then all the regular pitching categories. Does that make hitters more valuable? It's also a Yahoo league so Manny Machado still qualifies at SS - does that push him ahead of Donaldson and Correa? If Kershaw falls to me it might be hard to resist, but I'm thinking that's not the optimal strategy. What would your top 5 be?

Harper, Trout, Goldy, Machado are easily the top 4, even with OBP not being so great for Machado. For #5, I am not sure I would take Kershaw given the extra focus on offense. I'd lean towards Donaldson as the 5th, though Miggy would earn some consideration. I don't think I'd feel the need to push Correa all the way up to 5.

Comment

I'd take Miggy.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

What really separates Miggy from Votto?

I don't think there are very many high OBP/SLG shortstops which is why Correa would seem to have extra value.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          What really separates Miggy from Votto?

I don't think there are very many high OBP/SLG shortstops which is why Correa would seem to have extra value.
          Justin Upton, JD Martinez, and maybe Victor Martinez?

Comment

I'd never argue taking Miggy is wrong, but I can sure see the argument for taking Correa at pick 5. There's then 14 picks, if I'm counting right, to your next pick. I'm pretty confident (3) 3Bs (Donaldson, Arenado, Bryant), (4) 1Bs (Miggy, EE, Abreu, and Rizzo) and (3) OFs (Cutch, Stanton, Bautista) and Kershaw are gone before your next pick. Given your league's tilt toward power, I'm not sure who the next three would be, but it would probably include three from Chris Davis, Votto, Altuve, and Pollock.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Miggy all day long with the extra cats. Healthy, he'll get back into 35 HR and 120 RBI territory, and don't forget that he won the batting title last year while hitting with half his strength.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

in case it isn't obvious, yes, you should take a hitter
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Classic Miggy would be an easy top 5 pick in this format but it's been two years in a row now where he's hit 25 and 18 homers, respectively. I know he's still relatively young with this being his age 33 season but I'm not sure his body type will allow him to age gracefully so these last two years might be his new normal instead of a blip.

Comment

Working...
                  X