Adam LaRoche retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam LaRoche retires

Adam LaRoche has told White Sox he plans to step away from baseball. Teammates asked him to sleep on it, but he's confident in decision.

I'd be happier for him if he didn't stick me with his rotting carcass last season! Good luck in retirement, old man!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      I'd be happier for him if he didn't stick me with his rotting carcass last season! Good luck in retirement, old man!
      So I guess he wasn't on your keeper list.........
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Unless he changes his mind, he walks away from $13 million

Comment

somebody took him for $2 in our auction saturday in the late rounds. at least it was no more than $2...
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

...and I'm $10 richer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              ...and I'm $10 richer.
              A couple more of those, and you'll have a bottle of Makers Mark for the auction!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

From RotoWorld...

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Adam LaRoche chose to retire after White Sox president Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring his 14-year-old son into the clubhouse.
                LaRoche's son, Drake, has traveled with his dad for several years and has been a regular presence in the clubhouse. We're guessing this would be less of a concern if LaRoche had a productive first season in Chicago, but the team's front office decided that they didn't want his son as a regular fixture with the team. LaRoche told the White Sox on Tuesday that he would take a "couple of days" before making a final decision about retirement, but he's prepared to walk away from $13 million.

Wow, dick move White Sox. Well, unless they wanted to get rid of him. Then, great move White Sox.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I suppose it is not possible for me to know for sure unless I was in his situation, but I cannot conceive of walking away from a guaranteed $13 million pay day. In fact, if they are being jerks about my kid, it would make me want to stay for their money even more.

Obviously, he has made more than enough for him and his family to live better than 99.9% of all people on the planet already. But the vast majority of his income earning will behind him once he retires, and money aside, he will never have another opportunity to play the game that has been his whole life at the highest level ever again. I think it would be very hard for me to walk away from a current, guaranteed contract that very highly compensates me for playing a game I love, especially when I think of all the good I could do with that money. But I don't know his background. Maybe he has already given a lot, is tired, broken down, and just worn out from the grind. I don't begrudge him his choice--it is just so far removed from my life experiences, I can't conceive of it.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I can kind of see both points of view. Apparently the Sox players were very angry with management's decision; but I suppose if the White Sox were paying me $13m a year and asked that I stop bringing my kids in every day, I'd probably listen too. They probably felt that they didn't get $13m of production last year; were not going to get $13m of production this year; and needed LaRoche to start paying some dividends and to stop treating this like a fantasy camp.

If you're a producer and you don't produce, management comes down on you. LaRoche hasn't been producing.

Comment

,,,and now the press is running with it. LaRoche should not have said anything. In what is now an extremely rapid-build-them up/tear-them-down media cycle, his 14 year old is dangerously close to the spotlight.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Whoever gets to bring their kid(s) to work everyday raise your hand.

White sox are right, and the kid should not have ever been allowed in the clubhouse to the extent that he was.
                        Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-16-2016, 07:48 PM.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

White sox are right, and the kids should not have ever been lower in the clubhouse to the extent that he was.
                          It sounds like they allowed children in the clubhouse, but I suppose when one starts taking advantage of that, like they may have thought LaRoche was, they had to draw the line somewhere.

To the Sox's credit, they haven't filed his retirement papers yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

White sox are right, and the kids should not have ever been lower in the clubhouse to the extent that he was.

The baseball season is the longest and most time demanding of all the sports, and most other professions don't take parents away from their children for weeks at a time several times a year. That is stressful for both the children and for the players, and I imagine that at least certain players feel better and possibly perform better when they are not stressed about missing out on their kids growing up, and get to make them a part of their professional lives.

Also, I'm under the impression that baseball has historically been pretty family friendly, which is fitting as a sport that sells a family experience. I'm not saying there shouldn't be limits, and a big part of that should be the comfort of his teammates, but in this case, it sounds like the other players didn't mind his kid being there at all.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X