Trivia Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia Question

I was doing some research that led me to look up the all-time list of hitters with the lowest K%. It is a real study in how the game has changed over the years with power pitchers, relievers, etc. The top of the list is dominated by ancient names. But as I scrolled down to find current career leaders, I discovered 6 current players with career K% under 12%. Can anyone name any of them without looking? No real shockers, although two of the six were mild surprises for me.

As a bonus question, there is a 7th player who would lead this list if he ends up signing somewhere this year. He did play last year and has not retired. He was the most surprising name for me. He had an unremarkable 10 year career, despite his very impressive career K% of 10.3%.

Yadier Molina, Ichiro Suzuki, Dustin Pedroia, Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, Victor Martinez. Bonus player, who would be the current active leader if he signed: Alberto Callaspo.

Ichiro?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Ichiro?
      Yeah, that was probably the easiest one.

Comment

votto and altuve i think.

Comment

unremarkable 10 year career - Justin Morneau?
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Pujols? Worse since leaving the Cardinals, I imagine, but he posted some great seasons with low K hi HR.

Comment

Victor Martinez?

Comment

My Cardinal fan bias continues: Yadier Molina, like Ozzie Smith, is known for his defense above all else. But he doesn't K much.

Comment

I looked up the answers...
                  Morneau (17.0) not the missing #1... this guy was less remarkable
                  Yes to Yaddy (10.3), Pujols (11.4) VMart (11.7)

Altuve (11.3) should be on the list I'm looking at, but it required 1000 games played so he wasn't.
                  Votto (22.4). No

Joe Sewell at 1.6 tops the list. 114 Ks in over 7000ABs. with a lifetime slash of .312/.391/.413
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Looking through the current free agents, is the answer Alberto Callaspo?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      unremarkable 10 year career - Justin Morneau?
                      Wow. An MVP award, a batting title, four straight 100-RBI seasons. You're a harsh judge, T.G.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
                        Wow. An MVP award, a batting title, four straight 100-RBI seasons. You're a harsh judge, T.G.
                        well, I suppose "remarkable career" should be a fairly high bar.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Michael Brantley?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                            Pujols? Worse since leaving the Cardinals, I imagine, but he posted some great seasons with low K hi HR.
                            Yes, Pujols is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Victor Martinez?
                              Yes, this one surprised me a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X