Extending Kershaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending Kershaw?

I've got Kershaw in a 12-team NL only league. Standard 5x5 $260 league. Inflation is usually pretty high, especially on the top players. Last year Scherzer went for $49. Top hitters regularly go in the 50s or even low 60s.

So I have Kershaw for $40 heading into the last year of his contract. I can keep him for $40 in 2016 and then he's gone. Or I can extend him and have him at $45 in 2016 and $45 in 2017.

I am leaning towards extending him but is this crazy?

If it helps, my team is probably headed for a rebuild soon. I'm hoping to squeeze one more year of competitiveness out of them in 2016. But I wonder if Kershaw's trade value or keeper value for 2017 would outweigh anything I could do with that 5 bucks.

not crazy at all. I extend a year given your leagues inflation.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Yeah, I'd say extend him.
      Then trade him you can trade late him this season if your team doesn't do well, early next season if it does.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I would not extend him unless you have a lot of cheap keeps to go with him.

Comment

Extend for sure. He is the MVP of fantasy baseball. Worth every dollar.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

in a league with roughly similar depth and inflation, i'm probably keeping kershaw at $45.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

As part of this league I think part of the reason that Scherzer went so high was because Kershaw was kept. If both are available at auction I think both go for less imo. Comes down to how much more than $45 you think he would go for in 2017 and whether that delta is worth the risk of eating the $5 if you had to cut him for some reason. Not worth it to me especially now that more pitching is available at auction. Inflation will always be high in this league but that was a crazy amount for Scherzer imo.

Comment

I'm keeping him for $65 in a $300 13 team mixed.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                  As part of this league I think part of the reason that Scherzer went so high was because Kershaw was kept. If both are available at auction I think both go for less imo. Comes down to how much more than $45 you think he would go for in 2017 and whether that delta is worth the risk of eating the $5 if you had to cut him for some reason. Not worth it to me especially now that more pitching is available at auction. Inflation will always be high in this league but that was a crazy amount for Scherzer imo.
                  This happened in our NL only league as well. Scherzer would go for less and Kershaw would probably go for the same $40. It will be interesting because Kershaw also needs to be played out or given the extension.

Comment

I would extend him. Would Goldy or Trout or Harper get extended at that price? I imagine that is an easy yes. I understand pitchers almost never should be put in the class of the most elite, reliable bats, but I think Kershaw is as safe as anyone to be worth top 5 money the next 2 years.

Comment

Extend as long as there is no salary cap which would greatly lessen his trade value when you do rebuild.
                      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I'm in the exact same situation with Kershaw. I have him for $39 though. So I could extend him to $44. He would probably go a little over $50 next year in my opinion. Last year Price went $46, Bumgarner $47, and Felix $44. I think Kershaw would get the guys salivating and would go high. He was drafted 2 years ago at only $39 bc of the slight injury concern at the start of the year.

The only thing that seems different possibly is my league forces you to eat half of the salary if you extend a player and then cut them for the following year.

The biggest risk I would be taking then is if for some reason he gets hurt this year and is not worthy of a keeper spot for next year. I would have $22 worth of dead money against my $260 cap.

The majority of the post seem to be in favor of extending him. Would you still do so with this added potential consequence?

12 team mixed roto $260 cap.

Comment

Extend.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I hate extending pitchers.

I'd still extend Kershaw at that salary and with your league's inflation.

I think if you assumed a 50% chance that he'd be hurt enough to miss a lot of the 2017, it wouldn't be worth it to extend him. But 50% would be ridiculously pessimistic assumption - pitchers don't get hurt that often.

Comment

I'm not extending Kershaw in a 12-team NL-only at $28. He'd go for $40 or so at draft.

The reason is that I can win this year and the extra $5 or $10 actually makes a difference to me. I'm also not extending a $5 Familia. If I can win, I wouldn't be trading away a $33 Kershaw anyway. Who would I trade Kershaw for and still expect to win?

An expiring Kershaw will likely end the season on the roster of the champion or a close runner-up. Isn't preparing to trade him away in March the same as preparing to have someone else win?

Keep him at $40. Spend the extra $5 wisely. Ride him to a championship. Worry about next year in October.

Comment

Working...
                              X