Arcia and Severino for Dozier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcia and Severino for Dozier

My league allows us to demote SPs to our minors until they go over 75 IPs, so Severino and Orlando Arcia would both cost $0 this year, and then could be kept at $5 next year. Dozier is currently $15 and due for an extension.

I initiated trade talks, asking for Dozier. He needs pitching, so I offered my $7 Lackey and Severino. He countered that he has too many keepers, so wanted these two prospects instead. I do want Doizer and need a 2bman, but he does have some questions about his health, and his contact issues could turn him into Dan Uggla at some point. So, should I take this deal? If so, should I extend Dozier?

This is a 14 team mixed league, and we keep 15 major leaguers and 20 minor leaguers. The top 2bman available in the auction will be Cano, Pedroia, Murphy, Walker, and Zobrist.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-29-2016, 01:23 AM.

Seems like a deal you'll be OK with now but really regret come July.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. I think the other guy is right to question Dozier's contact issues. And Severino looks like he could be an ace as soon as this year.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        I wouldn't do it. I think the other guy is right to question Dozier's contact issues. And Severino looks like he could be an ace as soon as this year.
        My syntax was off--the other guy is selling Dozier as the best 2bman in baseball, but I have concerns about his declining contact rate. I'm surprised to see you say Severino is the hold up in the deal. I worry about him holding with his size and pitching half his games in a bandbox under extreme scrutiny. Arcia is the one I was hesitating on, and I've tried to offer Raul Mondesi instead to no avail. But maybe I'm underselling Severino.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Seems like a reasonable offer. I'd offer Arcia and Mondesi before letting go of Severino, though.
          Huh, another vote of confidence for Severino. Maybe my assessment of him is off. He doesn't have interest in Mondesi (or Jorge Mateo, whom I also offerred), but I'm reasonably sure he'll take Matz and Arcia instead of Severino and Arcia. Should I make that offer? I like Matz a little more long term, but maybe not for this year.

Comment

I may be chasing regret in pursuing Dozier. I had him as a sleeper a couple of auctions ago, and failed to bid the extra dollar to get him. The owner admitted to me he would have let him go for another buck, and it has haunted me for the last two years. So, I appreciate that you all seem to be talking me off the ledge here, at least if the deal necessitates me giving Severino or Matz, which I believe it will...actually, I think he'd take Glasnow instead, but I like him even more than the other two.

The other factor here is I'm not sure what to do with Dozier if I get him. Should I extend him to $20 for an extra year? If the answer is no, it makes me rethink these deals. Severino or Matz and Arcia is a lot of long term value for just one year of Dozier.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-29-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Are you playing for this year? If so, I'd consider the deal. If not, no way.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

I would not trade Matz or Severino pre auction or draft for a year of Dozier. I would if needed trade one of them in season for more.

Comment

I would want to keep your rotation of Severino, Matz, and Glasnow together. That's a great foundation for what could be a very solid pitching staff for the next several years if you supplement them with a few more good arms at the auction.

I know the talent at 2B is very thin this year. But, i wouldn't overpay for position scarcity. With Dozier's low BA/OBP, i would be afraid of even more regression in the counting stats.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I would not trade Matz or Severino pre auction or draft for a year of Dozier. I would if needed trade one of them in season for more.
                    Agreed.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                    X