Cubs re-sign Dexter Fowler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs re-sign Dexter Fowler

Cubs have re-signed outfielder Dexter Fowler to a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2017, tweets Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. He’ll receive $8MM in 2016. The mutual option is for $9MM with a $5MM buyout

Wait, what?

Comment

I guess that puts Heyward in right, Fowler in center, and Soler/Schwarber in left, and Schwarber also backing up Montero at catcher.

That's a lot of talent out there. They're probably not maximizing their use of Soler, but that's still a lot to work with.

Comment

That lineup is going to be insane. This also allows them to move a bat for another arm as well. Sick, sick sick

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Stupid for Fowler, stupid for the Cubs, bullet dodged for Baltimore.
          Why stupid for Cubs?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Why stupid for Cubs?
            Guessing it has to do with Soler, Schwarber, and Heyward.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Any info yet on why Fowler spurned the Orioles?
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Everyone loses AB's here, and the main loser is Schwarber, unless they plan to play him at catcher 3 days a week after all. No more Zobrist to the OF, no more Baez shuttling in for Zobrist, no more Bryant to the OF on occasion. The only three I see being stable are Rizzo, Russell, and Heyward. Soler goes down to a late round draft/single digit auction guy. And all of those guys who had/are having slow drafts who picked Schwarber high are pulling their hair out now.

The team will be better for it, and Maddon will be overjoyed, because he can tinker to his hearts content.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                  Any info yet on why Fowler spurned the Orioles?
                  The signing reportedly fell through when Fowler demanded an early opt out after one season and the Orioles did not want to lose a first round pick to sign a player for one season.

Comment

For the last three years, Fowler has been decent vs RHP, terrific vs LHP:
                    Fowler vs RHP
                    2015: .228/.331/.395
                    2014: .260/.361/.376
                    2013: .237/.349/.392
                    Fowler vs LHP
                    2015: .326/.399/.467
                    2014: .327/.419/.467
                    2013: .323/.417/.444

Heyward was brutal vs LHP in 2014, but overall is the flip-side of Fowler:
                    Heyward vs RHP
                    2015: .301/.364/.470
                    2014: .304/.384/.436
                    2013: .250/.350/.415
                    Heyward vs LHP
                    2015: .272/.344/.364
                    2014: .169/.252/.225 -- ouch! --
                    2013: .264/.347/.455

Perhaps we'll see a different leadoff hitter depending on opposing starter
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Maybe a Fowler/Schwarber (.143 vs LHP) platoon?

With Heyward moving back and forth between CF and RF. Yeah, there's a lot of moving parts on this team.
                      Last edited by madducks; 02-25-2016, 04:03 PM.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Maybe a Fowler/Schwarber (.143 vs LHP) platoon?
                        I'd personally be stunned if that was the plan going into the season. Pittsburgh is the only division opponent projected to have more than one lefty. Not that I think they should be burying Soler and Baez.
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Right now i think the only Cubs hitters you can hope to get 500 ABs from are Rizzo, Zobrist, Bryant, and Heyward.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Right now i think the only Cubs hitters you can hope to get 500 ABs from are Rizzo, Zobrist, Bryant, and Heyward.
                            Yep. Love the Cubs line up for real baseball. Not so much for fantasy.

Comment

The pissing match has commenced between Casey Close (Fowlers agent) and the O's. Close accusing Baltimore, and the media, of being irresponsible by saying that Fowler was signing, even though his client supposedly called Adam Jones to tell him how excited he was to join him. Douquette responded by saying "If the player chooses to take less money to go with another team, that's their choice."

Well done by Close to get both less money and less years for a client who couldn't get a deal, and now has to enter the market again next year, a year older, or take another crappy 1 year deal. Well done Casey Close, well done.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X