AL contract extension questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL contract extension questions

I have some time to decide, but I'm starting to consider contract extensions for two players (at opposite ends of their careers) in my 12-team, AL-only, 5x5 league, standard rosters and $260 budget, with what is looking like around 20% inflation.

(1) Taijuan Walker, currently $2, will certainly extend one year to $7, but should I extend two years to $12

(2) Alex Rodriguez, currently $1, should I extend one year to $6 (since there are $20 million reasons why he will still be playing next year)

Imo, 7 & 1
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

A-Rod says that he will retire...after 2017. Even with that statement, I probably won't extend. Thoughts?

Comment

7 and 1 for me, too.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          7 and 1 for me, too.
          Yup...no reason to extend A-Rod. Too risky.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Another vote for 7 and 1. I really like Walker and think he could have a big year, but until I actually see it, I can't lock him up through 2018.

Comment

Yet one more vote for 7 and 1. You could see plenty of profit on both players - or not. Either way, $8 will probably get spent on worse production this year.
              "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
              "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
              WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
              PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

I'm not one to extend a 40-year-old, unless you can find a drug that would help him discover the fountain of youth.
                Nah, couldn't happen ... 7 and 1.

Comment

Working...
                X