Neftali Feliz to the DL - who closes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neftali Feliz to the DL - who closes?

Sounds like it'll only be for the minimum 15 days, but I'm hard-up for saves in my AL-only league. Any idea who will close? O'Day? Strop?

mlb.depthcharts already has arthur rhodes penciled in as the temporary closer

Comment

FWIW, the Dallas newspaper guy thinks Darren Oliver will be the choice. I picked him up so hopefully he'll get me a few saves.

Comment

Nobody has distinguished themselves over the other person there -- screams committee.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          Nobody has distinguished themselves over the other person there -- screams committee.
          Darren Oliver has given up just 4 hits and 0 walks in 8-1/3! 2 ER, 4 K...2.16 ERA, 0.48 WHIP.

Arthur Rhodes: 6 IP, 4H, 3 BB, 2 ER, 5 K ... 3.00 ERA, 1.17 WHIP.

Darren O'Day: 6-1/3 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 2 ER, 4 K ... 2.84 ERA, 1.58 WHIP.

Pedro Strop: 5-1/3 IP, 2 H, 6 BB, 1 ER, 7 K ... 1.69 ERA, 1.50 WHIP.

Very small sample sizes, but if you had to go by those numbers, O'Day and Strop are putting too many on base. Oliver's numbers are clearly better than Rhodes' although it's not like he's blowing it by anyone. Oliver's actually been very good for a couple years now. I'd put my money there if you put a gun to my head.

Comment

Oliver gets the first one with a perfect inning.
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Any hope for Strop? ...to cut down on his walks, because he has the best K potential of the group

Comment

Originally posted by BC... View Post
                Any hope for Strop? ...to cut down on his walks, because he has the best K potential of the group
                I'm not sure it matters much right now. Feliz isn't going to be out very long. Since Oliver got the first save, he's probably in line for next 1 or 2, and after that Feliz should be back.

Comment

I went ahead and bought Strop, as he was the only one available in my league. The manager said he'd use any one of the three, so who knows?

Ya gotta love Arthur Lee, though. He was awesome in '97 and then again in '02. He wasn't bad in 2001. He used to go for a ton back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    I went ahead and bought Strop, as he was the only one available in my league. The manager said he'd use any one of the three, so who knows?

Ya gotta love Arthur Lee, though. He was awesome in '97 and then again in '02. He wasn't bad in 2001. He used to go for a ton back then.
                    The lead singer of Love decided to play baseball after he stopped making music?

Comment

What's amazing is that Arthur Rhodes & Darren Oliver, two of baseball's most durable pitchers, have combined for almost 1,500 major league appearances over nearly 40 seasons and have just 36 saves between them. Oliver is bizarre: a save this season, one last season, then none since 1994!

Comment

Does everyone think that this is just for two weeks until Feliz comes back into the closer's role, or is it possible that if Oliver and Rhodes perform well holding down the 8th and 9th for a few weeks, they'll bring Feliz back as a starter?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          Does everyone think that this is just for two weeks until Feliz comes back into the closer's role, or is it possible that if Oliver and Rhodes perform well holding down the 8th and 9th for a few weeks, they'll bring Feliz back as a starter?
                          He'll go back to closing. The Rangers made their decision. If they wanted him as a starter they would have put Ogando back in the closer role. They have enough starting depth not to need that.
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Unless they decide that relieving is too stressful on his shoulder. Just a thought...
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              Unless they decide that relieving is too stressful on his shoulder. Just a thought...
                              Why would going out and throwing 20 pitches in an inning be more stressful that 100 or so as a starter? As long as they monitor him and don't have him warming up several times a game, he should be just fine.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X