2K16: Brandon Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K16: Brandon Belt

Belt has the skills to be a really valuable fantasy 1B. It's just a matter of health. 3 of the last 4 seasons he has failed to reach 500 AB.

He has good power with a .200 ISO the last two seasons as well as 14% HR/f. He definitely struggles with contact (70%) but carries a solid walk rate so his plate approach can work enough. Also, he typically will be at 25% or better line drives so I think you can expect a .285+ hitter with a cooperative BABIP.

Health is a skill though so I will take the under on 525 AB.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

He's definitely talented, but I agree, the health issue is a concern.

It seems as if once he's healthy, he's a pretty stable commodity. In his 2013 and 2015 seasons, where he had 571 and 556 PAs respectively, he [ut up remarkably similar numbers across the board:

2013 vs. 2015
    BA - .289/.280
    OBP - .360/.356
    SLG - .481/.478
    HRs - 17/18
    Runs - 76/73
    RBIs - 67/68
    2Bs - 39/33
    SBs - 5/9
    BBs - 52/56

So I would go with a baseline of .285/18/70 and if you feel he hasn't maxed out yet, add on a few points, HRs and RBIs. As long as you pay for 450-500 ABs, anything more is gravy.

Comment

He's the kind of player that can really make a difference because despite the solid skill set, his health scores leave him way in the back of people's minds I've noticed. The year he stays healthy though will be huge for his owner who gets him cheap.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

As a Giants fan, I hate Belt. He's too inconsistent, rarely seems to come up big in big games, seems to always be nursing one injury or another. His ability to play the outfield in a pinch is handy, and he appears to be an okay character, but I'd prefer a 1B with more consistent offensive production. I've had him on my fantasy team and he's okay if you can replace him during his DL stints, but I don't think he'll ever be a top-tier 1B, maybe not even a second-tier.

I predict this year, he's one of the last 1B drafted and he gets caught up in a bidding war between the three owners that still need a legitimate 1B and he goes for way more than he should.

Comment

Working...
        X