2K16: Ketel Marte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K16: Ketel Marte

I've been sifting through the second and third tier MI. Marte is one name that pops up as a possible value.

His slash line from 2015 is not likely sustainable, .283/.351/.402. If that is indicative of his true abilities, he's a steal at his circa #225 ADP, particularly with his SS rating and plus speed. Steamer has him at:

537 PA, .283/.351/.402, 5 HR, 22 SB.

The concern is a BB% of 9.7% in 2015, much higher than his MiLB averages. He had 11 (of 24) BB in 14 3-0 PA. With his power, there is no reason to nibble. Also of note is his success with hitters counts. All that said, cutting the BB% frpm 9.7% to 5.6% might be extreme.

Another interesting fact is that he hit better with men on base and still better with men in scoring position, OPS .747/.765/.833, BABIP .328/.367/.382. Marte is 22. Many young hitters do not understand how to take advantage of a distracted pitcher. Marte seems to thrive on it.

What I am getting is baseball smarts. While pitchers will certainly learn to take better advantage of his lack of pop, Marte may be willing and able to go with the flow. In any event, as a roster filler or emergency started, you could do a lot worse. However, as a SS, one could hope for better defense. He may need to move to 2B.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-24-2016, 01:05 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Steamer has him with 44 RBIs, not SBs.

Comment

Yep. My bad. 22 SB is 2nd best among SS. 44 would dominate the category.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I like a switch hitter with speed and without a lot of competition. I guess there's Chris Taylor but that's about it. I do think the walk rate goes down some, but I think he will run. Maybe .270 with 30 steals.

Comment

how much will your opening bid be for Ketel?
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I am intrigued. I have him as a keeper option in my 10-team AL at $5. Debating him vs. guys like Smyly, Odorizzi, Rosario, C Rodon, Bird, D Travis at similar or slightly higher salaries. I think Ketel will probably make the cut for me over Rosario, Bird, Travis.

Comment

I have Travis also. His medical situation is too dicey for me to invest keeper chips. It's a pity. I
              once hoped he would be my 2016 2B.

About Marte, be aware he hits last in a weak lineup. His R and RBI potential is limited until that changes.

J
              Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-25-2016, 03:43 PM.
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Really? I mean sure, SEA isn't the Blue Jays, but the top of that lineup - Aoki, Seager, Cano, Cruz - is pretty solid. The bottom have is a bit rough, although I do like Martin for a bounceback year. If Marte can get on I think he'll score plenty of runs.

Comment

The top four in any lineup is pretty good. That said, he is targetted for the #9 slot so he waits, on average, 2+ innings before he has a chance to get on. Also the RBI chances are bad even for SS.

However, your make a valid point. Draft skills not roles.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Agree on RBIs. Just thinking out loud on the runs. Batting 9th certainly hurts, but I wouldn't blame it on the lineup in this case. How often is a #9 hitter driven in by someone other than the 1-4 batters? Could also be that Aoki struggles and they let Marte leadoff with his speed, but that doesn't seem like something worth counting on, or bidding on.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      how much will your opening bid be for Ketel?
                      "Next player for auction, please?"

"Ketel - one."

#sigh
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        "Next player for auction, please?"

"Ketel - one."

#sigh
                        Ketel-$2

Comment

Maybe 400 ABs for this kid? I'd have to guess 30+ SBs in that case...
                          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Unless they move him up in the lineup.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                            X