Mets Sign Cespedes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Sign Cespedes

I'm glad, because there would've been an uprising here if they didn't bring him back. The fans deserve it.

"The Mets agreed to a three-year contract to bring free-agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes back to New York, according to a report by MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

MLB Network's Ken Rosenthal reported that the deal is worth $75 million, with multiple reports indicating that the contract includes an opt-out after the first year."

Mets offense 2015, games started

C - Plawecki 66, d'Arnaud 64, Recker 23
    1B - Duda 127, Cuddyer 15, Murphy 14
    2B - Murphy 65, Flores 30, Herrera 27, KJohnson 16
    3B - Murphy 41,Campbell 39, Wright 38, Uribe 22, Tejada 18
    SS - Flores 96, Tejada 65 vs ACabrera 140, Tejada 20
    LF - Cuddyer 66, Conforto 48, Cespedes 14
    CF - Lagares 106, Cespedes 39
    RF - Granderson 141, Mayberry 10

add in NWalker, ACabrera, deAza, and if healthy d'Arnaud and Wright (gone are Recker, Murphy, Cuddyer, KJohnson, Uribe, Mayberry), and this offense seems potentially unbelievably improved. Thor and Matz didn't open last season with Mets, either, and they had no lockdown LHRP and now have Bastardo and Blevins.

they can win 100 games. does that make them a ton more likely to win the WS? we all know it's no. but geesh, this 30th anniversary of the 1986 regular-season curb stomp......
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

As I've heard on the XM fantasy Baseball channel numerous times, the Mets have a "billion dollar rotation." Squandering this over $15m (Cespedes's contract minus Cuddyer) would've been ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        As I've heard on the XM fantasy Baseball channel numerous times, the Mets have a "billion dollar rotation." Squandering this over $15m (Cespedes's contract minus Cuddyer) would've been ridiculous.
        I can't tell you how many times I've squandered opportunities just because I wasn't willing to spending an extra $15M. I'm glad the Mets learned from my many examples.

Comment

I think that it's an overpay, but adding in the Cuddy contract makes it very reasonable. Now the interesting point will come after the season if Cespedes DOESN'T use the opt out...we'll see how the Mets react then. I think the opt out is going to be like the 1 year qualifying offers...nobody took them for years, but now people are taking them and teams are getting stuck with players that will be overpaid.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I think that it's an overpay, but adding in the Cuddy contract makes it very reasonable. Now the interesting point will come after the season if Cespedes DOESN'T use the opt out...we'll see how the Mets react then. I think the opt out is going to be like the 1 year qualifying offers...nobody took them for years, but now people are taking them and teams are getting stuck with players that will be overpaid.
            The only way I think Cespedes doesn't take the opt out is if he has a bad year, which is, of course, possible, but I think it is unlikely. The Cespedes market has surprised me in terms of the discipline teams have shown with him. The guy has the talent to make this a great short term contract, but no one stepped up because of his rep as a guy who may slack off after getting a big deal. He seems like the sort of guy that is perfect for this kind of massive annual salary but short term deal--huge talent now with big questions about his long term desire/production. This deal should motivate him to play as well as we know he is capable of (the guy was in the MVP talks for a league in which he played 57 games), which is a big win for the Mets in 2016, and worst case, they are on the hook for 2 more years after this one, during which time Cespedes will be young enough to have dreams of another long term deal, and will be motivated to play well to secure it.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-23-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              The only way I think Cespedes doesn't take the opt out is if he has a bad year, which is, of course, possible, but I think it is unlikely. The Cespedes market has surprised me in terms of the discipline teams have shown with him. The guy has the talent to make this a great short term contract, but no one stepped up because of his rep as a guy who may slack off after getting a big deal. He seems like the sort of guy that is perfect for this kind of massive annual salary but short term deal--huge talent now with big questions about his long term desire/production. This deal should motivate him to play as well as we know he is capable of (the guy was in the MVP talks for a league in which he played 57 games), which is a big win for the Mets in 2016, and worst case, they are on the hook for 2 more years after this one, during which time Cespedes will be young enough to have dreams of another long term deal, and will be motivated to play well to secure it.
              I'm with ELD on this one...I see a guy with a ton of talent, who's never really used it. And frankly, I don't see him starting now. I agree with the projections, mid 20's homers, less than 100 RBI, and a really mediocre OBP...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

"I'm not sure the Mets have improved their team this offseason."

well, if d'Arnaud and Wright can start more than 102 total games in 2016, that's an improvement (now, expecting them to start 260 games would be a huge stretch, and both may miss lots of time again. but they can miss a lot of time, still double their combined starts in 2016, and by the way the guys who started in their place last year didn't exactly Wally Pipp either of them).

they are no worse at 1B, 2B, SS, or RF, probably - and better offensively, at least, in LF and CF. their bench is much better, clearly. they quite possibly have a full season of Thor and Matz this time (30 combined starts for Mets in 2015, so another high side of doubling up), and up to a half-season from Wheeler. Bastardo and Blevins give them 2 good LH RPs, a significant boost. Familia is now established, and Mejia returns at midseason as well. Addison Reed says hi and heck, Erik Goeddel was good last year.

the worst one can say is that not ALL of those perceived improvements will pan out. but as noted, they just reached the World Series - how much better do they have to get?

also, the Mets can and would make the qualifying offer to Cespedes if he opts out - giving them a supplemental first-round pick when he signs elsewhere. they also pay him a lot in 2016 when their stud SPs are making peanuts, while not committing any money at the point at which they really get paid.

I actually agree that Cespedes is not a guaranteed superstar hitter, and a poor offense wouldn't get healed just by his presence. But all of their other starters can hit relative to their position. Combine that with the SPs, and I can picture the incremental offensive improvement he brings as paying real dividends. BBHQ has him at .271/322/.495 and 28 HR, 102 RBI in 2016.

I'm astonished that they are doing so many things right, frankly. it's weird.
                Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-23-2016, 02:37 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

they will be not so good at D again, 'tis true. then again, Murphy at 2B was - rough sledding in the field; Walker may not have any range but fewer brain farts. one counter, as they note, is that the Mets strike out a ton of batters, and those are D-irrelevant outs.

I cannot imagine how they regress offensively in 2016. they'll get a full season of good Cespedes and not a half season (actually less than two months) of great Cespedes; that's not a net negative. maybe Granderson decides to get old. maybe d'Arnaud misses 100 more games.

3B would be a seeming worrisome spot given Wright's back surgery - but how could they do worse there than what they had last year? and their bench goes from earthshakingly bad to good, it would appear.
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-23-2016, 03:22 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                  X