NL may add DH in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL may add DH in 2017

At an MLB owners' meeting on Thursday in Coral Gables, Fla., Commissioner Rob Manfred said the idea of the designed hitter coming to the National League is "gaining momentum." What's more: Deciding whether to implement a unified DH rule could happen this year and then get rolled out for the 2017 season.

MLB is set to work on a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union this year. The current CBA expires on Dec. 31, 2016 and it sounds as if the DH could be a big part of the new agreement. Here's what Manfred had to say Thursday, as relayed by David Lennon of Newsday
    Purists may make a sour face, but I, for one, yearn for the day where I dont have to see a pitcher try to lay down a bunt.

One of the reasons the Padres have no issues keeping Matt Kemp...........
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I too would like to see the game standardized across both leagues, and it looks like there is no shot of the AL doing away with the DH, so I'll begrudgingly accept the inevitability of a DH in the NL.

Comment

About time IMO.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Huzzah.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Baseball players should be able to both field and hit. Ban the dh.

Comment

I'd prefer both leagues to play by the same rules, and I'd prefer that NL teams have the same opportunity that AL teams do of putting their aging veterans at DH when they can't field anymore.

The NL almost voted for the DH in 1979-ish, but didn't because the Phillies' owner was on a fishing trip and unreachable. I think I've told that story on this board before.

ETA: Yep, I posted about it in 2011.

Fun fact: The NL almost voted to adopt the DH as well. If the Phillies and Pirates had voted for it instead of abstained, it would have passed.

The Pirates abstained because going into the meeting they decided to vote with the Phillies. The Phillies abstained because the conditions of the vote changed during the meeting and president Bill Giles could not reach owner Ruly Carpenter, who was on a fishing trip, to get his take on the changes. The Phillies had planned to vote for the DH because they had a player, Greg Luzinski, who was best suited for it.

http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2011/ap...illies-kept-d/
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'm ready for it too. The Pirates probably keep Pedro Alvarez if they had a DH this year. Madison Bumgarner probably won't like the change because that guy can hit. For fantasy purposes, it should add another 15 rosterable hitters to NL only and mixed leagues.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I guess it's time to start think about cheap, aging hitters that can't field worth crap.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I don't really like the DH, but I've softened my stance in recent years. Fantasy-wise, it'll make a few more bats relevant and there will be slightly fewer pitching injuries, so that's all good.

Comment

I have always been a fan of NL style ball but I have seen this as long inevitable.

Interesting though as I was listening to MLB radio this morning, over an hour into the show every cxler had voted no to the DH in the NL even a BoSox fan.
                      Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        I don't really like the DH, but I've softened my stance in recent years. Fantasy-wise, it'll make a few more bats relevant and there will be slightly fewer pitching injuries, so that's all good.
                        I don't really like the DL either, but aren't we down to only the NL not using it? Even in the minors they use DH's don't they? Or does the home team's park dictate the rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I don't really like the DL either, but aren't we down to only the NL not using it? Even in the minors they use DH's don't they? Or does the home team's park dictate the rule?
                          I think pitchers bat in the minors only if both teams are affililates of NL teams.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            We all hate it when our players get hurt.
                            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Working...
                            X