PONY Keepers 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PONY Keepers 2016

OK, since Gris posted his, I'll post mine. Interested to get some thoughts as I don't know what to do with these guys. 15 team mixed, standard 23-man (2 catchers), 5x5 league, $260 cap. Can keep up to 10

Locks or almost locks

1. SP Sonny Gray $5 (heading into option year, do I extend?)
    2. OF Marcell Ozuna $4 (gotta hold my nose and take the plunge right?)
    3. OF Josh Reddick $2
    4. 2B DJ Lemahieu $5
    5. 1B Mark Teixeira $1 (he's gotta earn more than that right?)

Guys who are cheap but could earn a profit?

C Francisco Cervelli $3 (.295 7hr 56r last year)
    SS Adeiny Hechevarria $3 (.281 5hr 7sb last year)
    OF Curtis Granderson $15 (.259 26hr 11sb last year)
    3B Trevor Plouffe $8 (.244 22hr 86rbi last year)
    SP Mike Fiers $5 (180ip, 3.69era, 180 Ks last year but worried about a whole year in AL)
    SP Jesse Hahn $1 (no idea what his health situation will be)
    RP Carter Capps $5 (no shot at saves so probably too expensive for elite MR)

Guys who aren't cheap but might be worth keeping

SP Zack Greinke $25 (don't love the move to AZ)
    RP Aroldis Chapman $26 (suspension looming)
    OF Carlos Gonzalez $29
    OF Andrew McCutchen $44
    OF Yoenis Cespedes $32

I would extend Gray 1 year. You still get profit and it keeps trade options open if needed.

I would add Granderson and Plouffe to your first 5 so that is 7. Gonzalez makes 8. I would not keep McCutchen at $44. I would try to trade him. I always feel like I am not getting enough stats for what his price gets to.

I personally would keep Cespedes at $32. That leaves one slot. Depending on what pitching is back in the draft would influence me on choosing between Greinke and Fiers. Not much back in I keep Greinke. Stud pitchers back in I keep Fiers and buy one of those.

Comment

Greinke in Chase Field (@ARI)
      - 2015: 2-0, 15 ip, 0 er, 8h, 2bb, 15k
      - 2014: 2-0, 13.1 ip, 1 er, 14h, 2bb, 13k
      - 2013: 2-0, 13 ip, 2 er, 8h, 3bb, 12k
      ok, smallish sample size, but this is an ace coming off a career year, in front of a good defense.
      And evidence suggests this guy works hard to get better - terrific hitting pitcher, and he spent his first 7 seasons in the AL.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I would keep Grienke. Plouffe is not flashy but always puts up solid under the radar type seasons. Given that you have a nice amount to spend at the auction I think you can keep Cargo (especially if you do not keep Grienke). I would not keep McCutchen. I think he has gone mid $40's each of the last three years so. If you like him you can risk the auction because he should go for around that price.

Fiers is intriguing to me at that price but maybe that's because I have in my local league. I agree with Eldiablo that Hahn is someone to keep an eye on and is a nice "fall back" option.
        Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
        Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Yea I think Greinke is an easy choice at that price. I'd also go with Granderson, Plouffe, Cespedes (or Cargo if you don't like where La Potencia lands), and Hahn. Cargo is just too damn risky for my tastes, but I'd guess he has some nice trade value.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
          X