Chris Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Davis

According to Heyman, Davis signs with Baltimore 7/161. Orioles have not confirmed. This makes no sense right? I thought the Orioles were refusing to meet his 7/154 demands.

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
    According to Heyman, Davis signs with Baltimore 7/161. Orioles have not confirmed. This makes no sense right? I thought the Orioles were refusing to meet his 7/154 demands.
    Nope, 7/154 is what the Orioles were offering.

Davis was looking for over 200 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Nope, 7/154 is what the Orioles were offering.

Davis was looking for over 200 million.
      7/161 with full no trade clause confirmed.

Comment

Not even a million more per year than their original offer, not bad for both parties. The O's needed the lefthanded bat in the line-up, and Davis is about as consistent a shot for 35+ HR's as you can get. Good move on their part for sticking to their offer...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, good move for both parties, and for roto owners. Davis thrives there, and the market may have finally realized that mashing but aging 1bman aren't worth all of the money. I am surprised that Davis caved and took that deal, but maybe he realized the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            This strikes me as an enormously risky deal for Baltimore and an absolute coup for Davis and Scott Boras. Was there even anyone else bidding for his services? They better hope they get 2013/2015 Davis and not any of the other versions.

Edit: I might have underestimated just how good those two years were, though.
            And don't forget that 2014 was marred by a suspension and MLB's denial of his request to use Adderall, a drug he used by prescription in both 2013 and 2015. I think that he's as safe as safe can get when it come to power hitters...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

And, one more big sigh of relief...
              (AL only roto, $26)
              One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                And don't forget that 2014 was marred by a suspension and MLB's denial of his request to use Adderall, a drug he used by prescription in both 2013 and 2015. I think that he's as safe as safe can get when it come to power hitters...
                Not completely true..he wasn't on Adderall in 2015. He switched to Vyvanse

My favorite headline for this deal is here

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                  And, one more big sigh of relief...
                  (AL only roto, $26)
                  Same here, $19 for me, last year of contract.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

His contract defers about $40m of the money over 15 years after the contract ends.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      His contract defers about $40m of the money over 15 years after the contract ends.
                      Even better for the Os. No interest on the deferred money.
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-16-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Not completely true..he wasn't on Adderall in 2015. He switched to Vyvanse

My favorite headline for this deal is here
                        Looks like he had his choice of the two drugs, and he chose the Vyvanse over the Adderall. Either way, it's pretty much the same drug, with the Vyvanse lasting longer as a time release. One of my kids was diagnosed ADHD and was prescribed Concerta, which is pretty much the same as Ritalin...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Chris Davis has a (not so desirable) comparable who also got a mega contract after hittin' all them dingers:

Code:
                          Player	Ages	BB%	K%	wRC+	ISO	HR/FB%	IFFB%	Contact%
                          Chris Davis	27 – 29	12%	31%	140	0.292	28%	4%	68%
                          Ryan Howard	27 – 29	13%	29%	132	0.299	29%	2%	66%
                          The Howard deal was ludicrous the moment it was signed. Howard got way more than the market at the time warranted, in part, I think, because he was a nice guy and beloved by fans. Davis' contract was given in a very different market, and given how much of the money is differed, interest free, I don't think it was a bad signing by Balt. After all, it pays him at a relative bargain rate of $17 million a year for the 7 years he is under contract.

While I have generally been aghast at the stupidity of teams giving contracts to first baseman mashers like Fielder and Pujols, I don't mind this deal all that much. I think Davis will be a lot better than Howard was, and I think the contract, which has a reported management value of $127.5 millions is a decent one in today's crazy contract climate. It is a substantially less costly contract that Justin Upton's, according to this source http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...lb-free-agency. Of course, a case could be made that Upton deserved a much better deal than Davis, but Davis has done more at the plate, and fits perfectly with Baltimore, so I don't blame them for making this deal. My initial reaction is that it doesn't compare to the Fielder or Pujols or Howard deals in terms of insanity.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-21-2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

The other thing about the Howard deal was that he had been getting demonstrably worse each year, especially vs. LHP. Davis' production has been all over the place, but it's not on a downward trajectory like that.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                            X