2K18: Byron Buxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Hornsby is your commish? I didn't know that.
    Haha, no I think even Hornsby has soured on Buxton at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Haha, no I think even Hornsby has soured on Buxton at this point.
      Yeah, I'd buy him on the cheap, mainly for the potential speed, but at this point I don't know what he'll become, same with Sano.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Yeah, I'd buy him on the cheap, mainly for the potential speed, but at this point I don't know what he'll become, same with Sano.
        Yeah, you keep trying to get him from me in RJEL. There is a point at which I'll say, "OK, he''s your asset/liability now", but you haven't gotten there yet.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

• Buxton will not be recalled and finishes the year with a .156/.183/.200 batting line. Ouch!
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Buxton will not be recalled and finishes the year with a .156/.183/.200 batting line. Ouch!
            Setting up the possible (likely) grievance to be filed by Buxton's agents, since the Twins will get another year of service out of him by not recalling him this year. I understand it as a business decision (see: Jimenez, Eloy), and even as a baseball decision, but this one is likely to blow up on the Twins. And they acknowledge as much:

“Needless to say, neither the agent nor the player were happy to hear this information, and I think for all the right reasons,” Levine said. “We totally respect and understand their position in these instances.”

Levine gave three primary reasons for the decision not to recall Buxton, whose rehab assignment in mid-June was later turned into an option: A wrist injury that is “still lingering,” on-field performance that goes beyond his raw statistics in the minors and a lack of playing time for him in the majors.

“I think part of our jobs is we’re supposed to be responsible to factoring service time into every decision we make,” Levine said. “I still feel pretty resolute in saying that the other three factors were more present for us in this decision-making process than that. We wouldn’t be doing our jobs if we weren’t at least aware of service-time impacts on decisions we make.”

Should Buxton rebound to his 2017 level, when Baseball-Reference.com pegged him at 5.2 Wins Above Replacement, the 2022 season could be worth $41.6 million in potential value. He hit just .156 in 90 at-bats during the first two months while trying to play through a broken big toe on his left foot.

Levine said the Twins are “hopeful” the issue will not wind up before a mediator this offseason, but he said the organization recognizes the need to “make amends” with Buxton and his agents in an effort to smooth over any tension.

“Their recourse has not been laid out to us,” Levine said. “They’re certainly entitled to whatever they think is in the best interest of Byron Buxton. From this day forward, I think we recognize a responsibility to make amends and that we’re going to need to invest in the relationship with Byron Buxton. We understand this is a blow to the player, a potential blow to the relationship.”
            ARLINGTON, Texas — Byron Buxton’s latest injury-marred season will end with the final game of Triple-A Rochester’s schedule on Monday, the Twins announced late Saturday. Shut down along with …

Fair to say that he's been horrible as a hitter so far in his career...great defense, great baserunning, but can any team afford a Herb Washington who can field?
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Suffice to say that I doubt any arbitrator will look at a .383 OPS and support a claim he belongs in the MLB.

In fact, we’re I the arbitrator, I might just use your Warren Ellis quote....
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Setting up the possible (likely) grievance to be filed by Buxton's agents, since the Twins will get another year of service out of him by not recalling him this year. I understand it as a business decision (see: Jimenez, Eloy), and even as a baseball decision, but this one is likely to blow up on the Twins. And they acknowledge as much:

ARLINGTON, Texas — Byron Buxton’s latest injury-marred season will end with the final game of Triple-A Rochester’s schedule on Monday, the Twins announced late Saturday. Shut down along with …

Fair to say that he's been horrible as a hitter so far in his career...great defense, great baserunning, but can any team afford a Herb Washington who can field?
                Sure, as a defensive replacement but not a starter until he can hit a little. Always brought up is his still young age but he's had close to 1000 ab's...when does it get better? As chance noted, what does Buxtons's agent do to try and sway an arbitrator? With Buxton in the lineup, the Twins are playing NL ball...8 hitters.

Comment

• Found this Fangraphs article comparing Buxton to Adalberto Mondesi pretty intresting. Especially since I have Mondesi at $5 for a couple more years...

Comment

Working...
                  X