2k11 Jeff Niemann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11 Jeff Niemann

Niemann's nightmare season continued tonight, giving up 5 ER in 4.2 to the White Sox. His ERA stands 7+. How much longer til the Rays send him down?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

They can't send him down - he's out of options thanks to the major league deal the old regime signed him to.

He's 5-9 with a 7.53 ERA since the all-star break last season with a 1.7 HR/9, a 1.68 WHIP, and 29 of the last 33 basestealers against him have been successful. He can't locate his fastball and is behind to nearly every batter. I'm hoping they find some kind of excuse to DL him after this start tonight because he's pure **it out there on the mound right now. The only team he has done somewhat decently against was the Twins, but they're an AAA lineup these days.

Comment

Free Jake McGee!!!!!!!!!
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Free Jake McGee!!!!!!!!!
        He sucks too right now

Comment

Is it something to do with his height throwing off his mechanics? I've always thought it was easier for any real tall pitchers to lose their command.

With young pitchers, I like taking guys coming off poor 2nd halves, as I figure they're just building up arm strength. The way Niemann and Hughes have pitched so far, I may have to abandon that strategy.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Alex Cobb sure seems like a guy who could step into Niemann's spot and do alright. He's no dynamo, but his profile suggests he could be somewhat successful.

Comment

he's killing me in 2 leagues. bah. should have known better...
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                He sucks too right now
                That's due to lack of work, and poor planning on the Rays part. Send him to AAA, get him stretched out as a starter, and he'll outperform Niemann going away. Not that the bar is set very high. Using McGee practically as a LOOGY is a waste of his talent.

Comment

That's due to lack of work, and poor planning on the Rays part. Send him to AAA, get him stretched out as a starter, and he'll outperform Niemann going away. Not that the bar is set very high. Using McGee practically as a LOOGY is a waste of his talent.
                  But they've already got serviceable replacements in both Alex Cobb and Alexander Torres waiting at Durham. McGee's control is still way behind guys like that, and at this point in his development plan, it makes a lot more sense to leave him in the bullpen. If this were another team that was starved for starting pitching, I'd totally agree with you -- it'd be worth the investment of time at that point. But given the depth in the Rays' system, I believe McGee's best role is in the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    But they've already got serviceable replacements in both Alex Cobb and Alexander Torres waiting at Durham. McGee's control is still way behind guys like that, and at this point in his development plan, it makes a lot more sense to leave him in the bullpen. If this were another team that was starved for starting pitching, I'd totally agree with you -- it'd be worth the investment of time at that point. But given the depth in the Rays' system, I believe McGee's best role is in the pen.
                    Hey, quit ruining my fantasy baseball dreams with facts!

Free Jake McGee!

Comment

Nope -- he's not a starter because through all these years, his change-up is still quite a crappy pitch. He can't throw it as anything more than a show-me pitch more than 3-4 times a game and never for strikes. Now, he has lost command of his slider and can't locate his fastball. His ass is going back to AAA as soon as JP Howell is ready (mid-May) so he can work on getting his relieving skills in order. He's simply not starting pitching material with with guys like Cobb, Torres, Moore, and Archer in the mix, there is no need to make McGee into a starter. He has the stuff to be a shut down closer, but he has to put it all together. Ramos is the LOOGY on this team but McGee has been so bad in most of his situations, even throughout the spring, that Maddon has had to choose his spots carefully when using McGee.

Comment

Niemann just hit the WW in my 20 team league. At 28, you have to think this is his prime. He may learn to keep the ball in the park, but the K/BB will never be this good again.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

nice bounce back last night after I cut him last week.

grrrr
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

both games have come against depleted Twins lineups.....don't get your hopes up. He still made a lot of mistakes last night but the Twins lacked the talent in the lineup to make him pay for it.

Comment

I could have gone 6 strong innings against the Twins yesterday...simply pathetic.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X