Switching Up Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Up Categories

In my two local 12 team AL/NL only leagues we are looking at changing up some categories. Currently we are a 5x5 league with R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG and W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/IP.

There is talk of adding holds and switching K/IP to K. We have been struggling with coming up with a hitting category to balance out the 6x6.

I'd also like to switch AVG to OBP. I feel like it would make sense to add a ratio category so the hitting and pitching sides each have two ratio categories but I think having a category that makes sense is more important. I feel like SLG or maybe a little less so OPS would just be putting much weight on power hitters so I want to avoid that.

The other option, if we can't come up with a 6th hitting category is to merge saves and holds into one category. However, I would rather do saves plus 1/2 hold so at least give saves more weight.

Opinions needed, what do you say? Thanks
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

How about adding Total Bases? This gives a little more value to the doubles, triples type hitters. I prefer OBP to AVG but would not want both as it seems to be fairly redundant.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Responding to your saves + 1/2 holds comment, I completely agree. I am in a saves + holds league and relief pitchers are significantly less valuable (and costly) than all other players because you can always find holds.

Comment

I think adding holds as a separate category is dangerous, depending on your other rules.
        Look at 2015 mlb pitching splits:
        - Home: 1315-1114, 3.77/1.252, 7.9 K/9
        - Road: 1114-1315, 4.17/1.339, 7.7 K/9
        ... those numbers are already discouraging activating SPs in weeks with just road starts. Outside of other rule parameters, the main balance is Ks - but a separate holds category would offset that.

---

Regarding adding a hitter cat, the one I think would be neat is dWAR, but I wonder if any system supports that. Other defensive stats seem too easy to hack.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          I think adding holds as a separate category is dangerous, depending on your other rules.
          Look at 2015 mlb pitching splits:
          - Home: 1315-1114, 3.77/1.252, 7.9 K/9
          - Road: 1114-1315, 4.17/1.339, 7.7 K/9
          ... those numbers are already discouraging activating SPs in weeks with just road starts. Outside of other rule parameters, the main balance is Ks - but a separate holds category would offset that.

---

Regarding adding a hitter cat, the one I think would be neat is dWAR, but I wonder if any system supports that. Other defensive stats seem too easy to hack.
          We do have an innings minimum requirement (1000 IP) and there is no bench (other than DL'd and players sent down) so the 10 (yes, 10 instead of 9) pitchers you have on your roster are the ones you go with.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            How about adding Total Bases? This gives a little more value to the doubles, triples type hitters. I prefer OBP to AVG but would not want both as it seems to be fairly redundant.
            I have thought about the idea of total bases, that one has potential.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

how about AB, giving those 600AB .230 hitters some value, if people won't go for TB
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                how about AB, giving those 600AB .230 hitters some value, if people won't go for TB
                I'm not sure I want to reward someone for just showing up. Yes, I know that 80% of success is showing up, according to Woody Allen, but I'm not sure that I want to reward that in my fantasy league. I've seen arguments for using IP on the pitching side as a category but at least in that case an IP means they got three outs. Just getting ABs just means they are put in the lineup and they could be in the in the lineup for their defense.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                X