• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hall of fame voting...

Results are released tomorrow.

I would vote griffey, pizza, bagwell, edgar, raines

I am on the fence for a bunch more.

Can not vote balco boy, clemens, etc, in.

Who ya got going in ??

Griffey for sure. Probably Piazza and Bagwell too. Maybe Hoffman and his 600 saves.

I would vote for Bonds and Clemens but they won't get in.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

With 164 ballots announced so far (out of a believed 450 total voters), Griffey is unanimous. We'll see if flushing out about 150 older voters who don't cover baseball anymore will allow a unanimous election. Piazza's 86.6% makes him a likely inductee too. Bagwell (79.9%) and Raines (78.0%) are too close to the 75% cutoff to be certain for induction (especially since the early estimates for borderline players in recent years have been dropping 5%-15% in the final vote totals).

Comment

I can see Griffey being left off by a couple of guys that submit a full 10 knowing Griffey is a shoo-in & percentages over a certain amount are nothing. It's a dumb process. Marty Noble, on MLBN today, said he didn't vote for someone like Piazza because he had a hairy back and mood swings. That's pretty much every Italian I've ever met

Comment

So there are 450 voters and some voters know the current results BEFORE they vote????

That's unbelievable!

Football HOF does it all at once and NO ONE knows the results until they're announced.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
            So there are 450 voters and some voters know the current results BEFORE they vote????

That's unbelievable!

Football HOF does it all at once and NO ONE knows the results until they're announced.
            It's true -- ballots must be submitted before 12/31, but voters may choose to make theirs public if submitted before (although the BBWAA website said that's "not encouraged.")

I thought the Football HOF is a weekend long discussion/argument?

Comment

Bonds and Clemens are obvious, if you are of the mind that PED users should be in the HOF. Griffey, Piazza, and Bagwell should be mortal locks. There are so many worthy candidates, I don't know if Edgar or Raines would make my top 10 this year. I loved Edgar back in the day, and wouldn't freak out if it he made it, but as a DH, I don't know if he is quite there. Not sure if Raines is quite there either. Both borderline cases, and it is hard for me to think of them as HOFers when other, better players are not in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                It's true -- ballots must be submitted before 12/31, but voters may choose to make theirs public if submitted before (although the BBWAA website said that's "not encouraged.")

Yes, it is a weekend long discussion/argument but the voting is secret and results are secret prior to announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Griffey, and Bagwell are extremely easy inductees for me.
                  Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Actually, they have to be in much earlier than that. Remember, it's still faxed or mailed into the HOF so they can tally the votes. I believe the actual submission deadline was 12/6 this year

Comment

(wannabe)Griffey (record number of votes) and PiAzza are the only two in this year.

Comment

Congrats to Junior and Piazza!

Comment

If a widely suspected PED guy like Piazza gets in, there's now no reason to keep Bagwell out and very little reason to hold out further on Bonds, Clemens, and later ARod, etc.
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                            If a widely suspected PED guy like Piazza gets in, there's now no reason to keep Bagwell out and very little reason to hold out further on Bonds, Clemens, and later ARod, etc.
                            Exactly. Now that Piazza, Torre, La Russa, and Cox are in, the Steroid Era is in.

Comment

The system that votes in members seems so arbitrary, and counter to what we hope is some scale measuring worth until it tips to hof. What is the process by which local beat writers are selected, other than getting recommended by some local chapter chairman? What insures there is a well thought out process by voter, does he have to explain how he arrived at decision? Ideally there would be some sort of "show your work" component open for public consumption to show how a voter gets to his decision.

But there is not. Bonds and Clemens are blue chip top of the heap hof'ers in terms of worth, no matter what metrics you may use. Bonds especially has argument for top 3 hitter of all time. The blackball is supposed to be the steroids, or whatever drugs they used. But then a far inferior player in Piazza sails in carrying same baggage. So broken a system, and there is no accountability so it is a beauty pageant of who writers "like".

Comment

Working...
                              X