Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indians sign Napoli to a 1yr $7 mill deal

The Indians have some offense! Woot!

Is their OF really going to be Sands, Almonte, Chisenhall? Batting in the 7-8-9 spots? When was the last time a team had it's three OFs batting 7-8-9? They can't possibly be done here, right?

(Edit - I forgot about Brantley, oops. But isn't he out until May or so?)

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
      Is their OF really going to be Sands, Almonte, Chisenhall? Batting in the 7-8-9 spots? When was the last time a team had it's three OFs batting 7-8-9? They can't possibly be done here, right?

Brantly could be out even longer than that, and Napoli simply was pretty crappy last year. And right now it looks like Chris Johnson is going to be their DH? That pitching staff deserves a better offense to back them up...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Brantly could be out even longer than that, and Napoli simply was pretty crappy last year. And right now it looks like Chris Johnson is going to be their DH? That pitching staff deserves a better offense to back them up...
        Rotowire reported that Brantley is still on his original schedule. April or May to be back at 100%

Comment

Rotowire reported that Brantley is still on his original schedule. April or May to be back at 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Most recent thing I've found is a week or so ago...and some are saying that he'll DH at least part time after he comes back.

A "source close to the situation" told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that Michael Brantley (shoulder) might not be ready to play until June.

Brantley underwent major surgery in early November to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. At the time that news was first announced, the Indians estimated that he would be ready to rock sometime in mid-April. But that's now looking overly optimistic. We should all have a better read on the situation when spring training opens in February.

Dec 7 - 11:01 AM
            Source: Paul Hoynes on Twitter
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm legitimately interested in the answer to this question. Does anyone have the historical stats savvy to look this up somehow?

Comment

And apparently they weren't done, as they signed Rajai Davis today too. Not that this changes the OFs batting 7-8-9 thing though...

Comment

I would think Carlos Santana would disagree there. I understand he just bought a new DH mitt to celebrate the signing.....
                  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I'm legitimately interested in the answer to this question. Does anyone have the historical stats savvy to look this up somehow?
                    I found a place to download the Retrosheet database but it doesn't include 2014, so this isn't the absolute most recent time probably.

Before 2014, it happened 215 times, the earliest being a couple Angels games in 1974. It happened six times in 2013:

Texas June 18: David Murphy, Craig Gentry, Leonys Martin
                    Texas July 19: Craig Gentry, Jurickson Profar, Leonys Martin
                    Minnesota August 1: Chris Herrmann, Aaron Hicks, Clete Thomas
                    Houston August 3: Robbie Grossman, Brandon Barnes, LJ Hoes
                    Toronto August 30: Moises Sierra, Anthony Gose, Kevin Pillar
                    Toronto September 1: Rajai Davis, Anthony Gose, Kevin Pillar

There are a bunch of series where teams do it for three games, but the closest I can see to any team doing it regularly are the following:

2004 Orioles (27 games): including most of the games in July and August. BJ Surhoff, Jerry Hairston Jr, Larry Bigbie, with some Karim Garcia, Luis Matos, and Jay Gibbons.
                    2005 Orioles (9 games): mostly in July/August. Surhoff, Matos, Bigbie.
                    2006 Orioles (7 games): seven games in May/June. Mostly Matos, Jeff Conine, Corey Patterson.
                    2003 A's (21 games): note this is year 2 of Moneyball and the A's won the division. Mostly Terrence Long in LF, Eric Byrnes in CF, Jermaine Dye in RF, with some Ron Gant and Chris Singleton.
                    2010 Yankees (18 games): won the wild card. Mostly Curtis Granderson in CF, Nick Swisher in RF, Brett Gardner in LF, with some Chad Curtis and Chad Huffman.
                    2010 Red Sox (20 games): Daniel Nava, Darnell McDonald, Jeremy Hermida, Mike Cameron, Eric Patterson.
                    1991 Tigers (12 games): mostly in July/August. Rob Deer in RF, Pete Incaviglia in LF, Milt Cuyler in CF, occasionally Lloyd Moseby.

The Yankees and Red Sox never played each other with the outfield-at-the-end lineups in 2010. There have been only two games where both teams did it:

September 27, 2002, A's @ Rangers: John Mabry, Long, and Jason Grabowski for the A's, Kevin Mench, Jason Hart, Rene Rivera for the Rangers.
                    June 26, 2004, Braves @ Orioles: Andruw Jones, Charles Thomas, Eli Marrero for the Braves, Matos, Bigbie, and Hairston for the Orioles.

If you'd like to be able to do this yourself, here are the steps it took me:
                    Download MySQL Commnuity Server and MySQL Workbench (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/).
                    Download the Retrosheet DB (http://www.baseballheatmaps.com/retr...base-download/), unzip and import using Data Import/Restore in Workbench as "retrosheet".

Query:
                    use retrosheet;
                    SELECT * FROM games
                    WHERE (away_lineup7_fld_cd IN (7,8,9) && away_lineup8_fld_cd IN (7,8,9) && away_lineup9_fld_cd IN (7,8,9)) || (home_lineup7_fld_cd IN (7,8,9) && home_lineup8_fld_cd IN (7,8,9) && home_lineup9_fld_cd IN (7,8,9));
                    Last edited by mjl; 12-17-2015, 09:25 AM.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks! Great research.

I'm amazed the O's did it 3 consecutive years, although <10 games (or even <50) is hardly regular. Care to guess how many games the 2016 Indians will play with their OFs batting 7-8-9? Will it beat the record of 27?

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        2010 Yankees (18 games): won the wild card. Mostly Curtis Granderson in CF, Nick Swisher in RF, Brett Gardner in LF, with some Chad Curtis and Chad Huffman.
                        That was actually a staggeringly good offensive team. OPS+ by position

C Posada 115
                        1B Teix 124
                        2B Cano 141
                        SS Jeter 90
                        3B A-Rod 123
                        LF Gardner 105
                        CF Grandy 108
                        RF Swish 129

Of course the guy with the 90 OPS+ hit leadoff.

Comment

Working...
                        X