Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlin Castro to the Yanks

for Adam Warren and a PTBNL.

Depending on the PTBNL, seems like a steal for the Yanks.

seems like a steal for the Yanks.
    You won't find too many Cubs fans who agree with this statement.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I hate Castro as a player, but he was very reasonably priced. The Yankees didn't seem to cough up much here. Surprised the Mets couldn't do better. Then again I probably shouldn't be. Sad times in Flushing. Our big signing this offseason will be Jason Bay (or his current equivalent, some lesser FA because the Mets wouldn't "overspend" on the real talent).

Comment

I get the Castro hate. He was overrated for a long time. But given this return, I agree with Sharky that he was a good get for the Yanks. Sss, but in 44 games at 2b last year, he really exploded offensively and was better defensively as well. He is a solid MIF on a reasonable contract who may continue to be a pleasant surprise offensively at 2b in the band box that is NYS. And they didn't really give much for him.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The Cubs might have something interesting going on here, with Warren, Cahill, Travis Wood, Clayton Richard.... plus Hammel and Kendrick as their 4-5 starters. That's a lot of 2-3 and/or 4-6 inning guys. Will they have the guts to really try something crazy?

Like this deal for the Yankees. Hate that they've become a small market team, but since they are, a core of Severino, Tanaka, Didi, Castro, Bird, Judge, Eovaldi, Betances, Hicks, Justin Wilson.... that's a lot of guys in the 23-27 range. It's not the Cubs core, and maybe not even the Red Sox, but if they surrounded them with good free agents they could have something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            Sad times in Flushing.
            You guys were JUST in the World Series.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Really? I view Castro as somewhere between "disappointment" and "sucks". He was worth less than one win last year in a full time role.

The PTBNL is Brendan Ryan, supposedly, not that he really changes the calculus here, lol.
              I can understand the dislike, but he's just 25, is durable, and has had more good years than bad in his six seasons. Perhaps I undervalued Warren a bit, he was better than I thought, but considering who was being rumored for him in the last year, it seems like the Cubs could have done better here, but perhaps not.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                I can understand the dislike, but he's just 25, is durable, and has had more good years than bad in his six seasons. Perhaps I undervalued Warren a bit, he was better than I thought, but considering who was being rumored for him in the last year, it seems like the Cubs could have done better here, but perhaps not.
                The Cubs needed to trade Castro to cover most of the cost of Zorbrist's contract. They got something pretty good in Warren. But these two moves were handcuffed together. Essentially they traded Castro for Zorbrist and Warren.

Comment

So I guess they didn't really see Refsnyder as a viable 2B option?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    You guys were JUST in the World Series.
                    Yes. And the window is now. That happened because of a ridiculously cheap core. And it happened largely despite not because of ownership. Your guys had a higher payroll. So did the Milwaukee Brewers!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      The Cubs might have something interesting going on here, with Warren, Cahill, Travis Wood, Clayton Richard.... plus Hammel and Kendrick as their 4-5 starters. That's a lot of 2-3 and/or 4-6 inning guys. Will they have the guts to really try something crazy?
                      With Maddon in charge, nothing is too crazy. That man will try just about anything tactically to gain an advantage on the field.

Comment

Working...
                      X