Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samardzija To the Giants...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago
    Source confirms that #SFGiants have struck a five-year deal with Samardzija, pending a physical. First reported: @AlexPavlovic.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I'd rather they signed Leake
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Phew, thank god.
      Amen.

Comment

I dont think Samardzija could have found a better landing spot. Already kinda loving him for NL onlys...bounceback coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          I dont think Samardzija could have found a better landing spot. Already kinda loving him for NL onlys...bounceback coming.
          Bounce back to what?

I am not sure how low he would have to go for me to take a chance on him. He will be one of the first names I bring out. I am guessing the Mag Rags will be touting him as a bounce back player, undervalued, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Bounce back to what?

I am not sure how low he would have to go for me to take a chance on him. He will be one of the first names I bring out. I am guessing the Mag Rags will be touting him as a bounce back player, undervalued, etc.
            Maybe bounce back towards a guy that for the three years before last season sported a 3.5 FIP, 3.3 xFIP with an 8.8 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and 48 GB% - now in one of the best pitcher's parks in the league?

But then, I've been known to contribute to a Mag Rag or two...
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Yeah, I'm surprised by the level of Shark hate. If this were a thinner SP year, without guys like Greinke and Price, I think Shark would have gotten a lot more attention. He isn't an ace, but he has sick stuff. Maybe not the guy you want to build your real team around, but he seems like a good guy to target in roto, at least if others are as down on him as you all are. I agree with Pauly--he landed in a great spot.

Comment

I hope that the Giant fans enjoy the occasional 8 earnies in 1.3 innings, I know that I certainly did last year...not. The problem is that he was so awful last year that any positive peripherals are overlooked, and frankly, he was a guy who spit the bit from day one last year. He'll be fine in that ballpark, but he's not going to be anything worth 18 million a year, IMO.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I hope that the Giant fans enjoy the occasional 8 earnies in 1.3 innings, I know that I certainly did last year...not.
                  On the upside, it'll be much easier for you to compare him to Bumgarner this year.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    On the upside, it'll be much easier for you to compare him to Bumgarner this year.
                    Ouch man...

Maybe he'll infect MadBum with his horribilness this season.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                      Maybe bounce back towards a guy that for the three years before last season sported a 3.5 FIP, 3.3 xFIP with an 8.8 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and 48 GB% - now in one of the best pitcher's parks in the league?

But then, I've been known to contribute to a Mag Rag or two...
                      I am on record as enjoying the Rag Mags and buying most of them. I look forward to your contributions to them this upcoming year.

Back to Samardzija.

If you were a Samardzija owner in 2012 you were pretty happy with him. If you traded for him in the off season to shore up your staff in 2013 you were very angry as he was bad with the exception of 214k's in 213.7 innings. 2014 he was good again. Then came 2015 his contract year and he was very bad. His era was just over 7 in the first inning.

Maybe there is a pattern here bad good bad...this year good? Maybe he was trying too hard to pitch lights out for that new contract. Maybe going into a the NL will help. Maybe going to a better park will help. I am glad that the Cubs did not spend the $90m it took to sign him.

I think like in real baseball, he will go for too much in our NL only 5x5 ($21-$23) this coming year. Too many maybes for me to go that high.

Comment

Skills over outcomes. In 2013, Samardzija's 3.77 FIP and 3.45 xFIP suggests he pitched better than his 4.34 ERA indicates. His BABIP and HR/FB were well above league average while his LOB% dipped. It's cliche but Samardzija was a bit snake bit for the 2013 campaign. That said, his BB/9 was up so there was some bad pitching too -- though there's a cascade effect when you have a high BABIP as that puts you in the stretch more which leads to more walks.

Those willing to give Samardzija a mulligan for 2013 will be more optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                          Skills over outcomes. In 2013, Samardzija's 3.77 FIP and 3.45 xFIP suggests he pitched better than his 4.34 ERA indicates. His BABIP and HR/FB were well above league average while his LOB% dipped. It's cliche but Samardzija was a bit snake bit for the 2013 campaign. That said, his BB/9 was up so there was some bad pitching too -- though there's a cascade effect when you have a high BABIP as that puts you in the stretch more which leads to more walks.

Those willing to give Samardzija a mulligan for 2013 will be more optimistic.
                          So how do you explain 2015? And I was a believer, and a BIG buyer...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            So how do you explain 2015? And I was a believer, and a BIG buyer...
                            I can't -- I'm relying on guys like Collette and Sporer to help elucidate why Samardzija's K/9 plummeted. Playing DFS, I noted he went through a horrid stretch where he faced a string of clubs that just don't whiff but over a season that should work itself out.

Because of the ability to stream him, I'm more apt to take the plunge in mixed leagues than in NL only. If I was all-in I'd be taking the discount in NL only but at least until Jason and/or Paul come up with the reason for Shark's demise, I'll judge the mixed market and attack if the price is right.

Comment

When it comes to Shark, both sides of the argument are fair. He's one of those "who knows" players.

Comment

Working...
                              X