2k16: Carlos Correa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k16: Carlos Correa

The newly crowned AL ROTY had a huge campaign, hitting .279/52/22/68 with 14 SBs and had a 132 OPS+. He showed power, speed, great defense, you name it.

Entering 2016, he's vaulted to perhaps the top of the SS lists.

At age 21, what can we expect from a full year out of him? He hit 22 HRs in just 99 MLB games, but had only 28 HRs in 282 minor league games. Did he grow into his power that fast? Can we expect more, if so, how many more? Or should we brace for a decline, considering his HR/FB rate was almost twice that of the MLB average?

I haven't put too much thought into a projection, but is this out of whack?
    .285 BA
    87 Runs
    25 HRs
    85 RBIs
    20 SBs

If so, where does that rank him -- top 15 overall? Top 25?

IMO your numbers are very realistic.

The one area that I might be a bit concerned is the BA; he hit .279 in 387 ABs ... move that out to 600 ABs and I'd suspect that will drop somewhat. However as I look more closely at his minor league numbers - obp of over .400 in 2013, 2014, and during the time he was in the minors in 2015.

So overall I actually think you might be understating his numbers a touch. I'm a believer.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Probably top 25 by most, but i would definitely rank him in the top 15. I think the power numbers are legit and wouldn't be surprised to see 30 hr and 100 rbi in 2016. Move over Mike and Bryce to make way for the next big superstar.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I like your projections as a realistic baseline. The reason why he is a top 15 guy for me as well is because of the upside that others have pointed out. It would not surprise me if he ended up with top 15 numbers among all hitters, and he is the clear number 1 SS for me. I am a sucker for position scarcity, so the number 1 SS, who is also very likely a top 20 hitter is definitely a top 15 guy for me.

Comment

He had a 9.3% bb rate, 18.1% k rate, and .296 BABIP. So the .279 average he posted could easily be repeatable.

Steamer says .275-22hr-21sb in 648 PA. The big question is going to be the steals. He stole 3 in 24 games at AAA and 15 in 29 games at AA last year. He stole 20 in half a season at High-A in 2014.

Going .280-25-90-8sb at shortstop is probably the 25th best player. Going .280-25-90 with 25 steals moves him up a lot. Are the Astros going to let him run? Is the potential for him to hit .300 or 35 bombs enough to ease worries about him needing 25 steals to justify a top-15 pick?

He's going to be a trendy pick in the 10-15 range. Maybe even a little higher.

Comment

To think the Astros took flack for drafting him ahead of Byron Buxton. BB is still a stud, if he can stay healthy, but for now it looks like Houston made the right choice.

We have a BB and a CC. Who was the AA?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
              If he doesn't have to be a stud, Arismendy Alcantara fits the bill

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                If he doesn't have to be a stud, Arismendy Alcantara fits the bill
                This would be a good thread itself...

DD - Daniel Descalso
                EE - Edwin Encarnacion
                FF - Freddie Freeman
                GG - Gene Garber (one of my faves, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by luckyheel View Post
                  This would be a good thread itself...

DD - Daniel Descalso
                  EE - Edwin Encarnacion
                  FF - Freddie Freeman
                  GG - Gene Garber (one of my faves, btw)
                  HH - hall of famer Harry Heilmann

Comment

II - famous Latin pitcher Iason Isringhausen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSK-wq3jlg)
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Jacque Jones?

Comment

Kevin Kiermaier

Comment

Apparently N is tough. I had to go to BRef:

Nyls Nyman 1974-77
                          Nick Noonan 2013-15
                          Nick Neugebauer 2001-02

I don't know who any of these people are.

Comment

O gives some good names. Apparently there were people named:

Orval Overall 1905-13
                            Ozzie Osborn 1975

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              To think the Astros took flack for drafting him ahead of Byron Buxton. BB is still a stud, if he can stay healthy, but for now it looks like Houston made the right choice.

J
                              Phillies starting RF Aaron Altherr?
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X