Aaron Hicks to the Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Hicks to the Yankees

For JR Murphy. Like this deal for the Yankees. Murphy can be replaced by Gary Sanchez and probably was never going to be good enough to be an everyday starter. Hicks started to figure things out last year.

There are rumors the Yankees might try to trade Gardner (maybe) or Ellsbury (yeah right) and not necessarily just go into 2016 with a glut of outfielders.

I love this deal.

There is a rumor of Gardner to Seattle for Paxton. I don't love that.

Yanks also traded Pirela to San Diego for RHP Ronald Herrera. Busy day for them.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I agree with JC, great deal for the Yanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        While I don't share the love for the Hicks deal, I do think the Pirela deal was a great one for the Yankees. I'm surprised the Padres are giving up on a relatively strong infielder, given the state of affairs of the infield in San Diego.
        Huh Yankees traded Pirela for a Minor League righty, no?
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          While I don't share the love for the Hicks deal, I do think the Pirela deal was a great one for the Yankees. I'm surprised the Padres are giving up on a relatively strong infielder, given the state of affairs of the infield in San Diego.
          The Padres are getting Pirela.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            Huh Yankees traded Pirela for a Minor League righty, no?
            Yeah they did. And I don't get that one at all.

Comment

While Hicks strike zone judgement got better, saw this on twitter

Aaron HIcks in July 2015: .346, 4 HR, 16 RBI, 78 AB.
              Rest of Hicks' career: .212, 16 HR, 62 RBI, 741 AB.

Comment

It's really a trade of necessity for both teams, it most assuredly NOT a win for the Yankees, not if you judge both players by their entire career, instead of a few months. The Twins need a young, controllable catcher badly, nothing in their system stands out. Murphy can platoon and learn how to handle pitchers from Suzuki, and he can hit for power. So if he hits for middling power, and becomes a decent defensive catcher, it's great for the next 5 years or so.

As fuhrdog pointed out, Hicks has essentially had ONE month in his MLB career where he's actually done anything at all. They've been trying to give him the job for 3 seasons now, and he's spit the bit every time. After the hot July he had last year, he hit .213 in August, and .226 in September. Yes he hit a few homers, but NY already has that player in Chris Young. He can't hit rightys either...and he's been pretty resistant to change.

Both clubs dealt from a position of strength, so it's probably not going to hurt anyone too badly.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Been meaning to bump this one up for a while. Hicks is still a very streaky hitter and can be frustrating when he's not hitting but he always plays good defense.

Chalk this one up as a win for Cashman.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Chalk this one up as a win for Cashman.
                    Phew...I'd say. 72-22-62-10 this year with a .840 OPS so far this year.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Phew...I'd say. 72-22-62-10 this year with a .840 OPS so far this year.
                      Huge win. JR Murphy has been a total bust and the Twins shipped him out last year for a middling reliever.

Comment

With the Hicks success once he moved on, I wonder if the buxton also needs to move on in order to produce much closer to what the projections thought he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          With the Hicks success once he moved on, I wonder if the buxton also needs to move on in order to produce much closer to what the projections thought he could.
                          Which begs the question -- why do players need to leave MINNESOTA in order to reach their potential?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Which begs the question -- why do players need to leave MINNESOTA in order to reach their potential?
                            Well...not everyone does. Dozier, Rosario and Eduardo Escobar came into their own pretty solidly in Minnesota.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                            X