Small market teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small market teams

The Giants and Royals have four of the last six world championships. What have they done that serves as a blue print for other teams? The origin of this is an article, below. The obvious point is that the Royals were predicted to finish .500, not lead the league in wins.
    The Royals are more analytically driven than you may realize.

I think it's all about applying pressure. The Royals plink away, use the running game and force the other team to field the ball. Repeatedly, the Mets broke down in the late going. Like the Val Kilmer character in Top Gun, they wait for you to make a mistake, then kill you with it. The Giants are differently arranged, but still similar.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

San Francisco's a small market?

Comment

Yeah, KC built a very solid, well rounded team from the ground up, relying heavily on home grown talent, and not overpaying aging hitters. They also shared a consistent philosophy and skill set at the plate of never being easy outs. To me, their success is even more impressive than SFs, which has at times relied heavily on herculian performances from the likes of MadBum.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-02-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        The Giants and Royals have four of the last six world championships. What have they done that serves as a blue print for other teams? The origin of this is an article, below. The obvious point is that the Royals were predicted to finish .500, not lead the league in wins.
        The Royals are more analytically driven than you may realize.

I think it's all about applying pressure. The Royals plink away, use the running game and force the other team to field the ball. Repeatedly, the Mets broke down in the late going. Like the Val Kilmer character in Top Gun, they wait for you to make a mistake, then kill you with it. The Giants are differently arranged, but still similar.

J
        Seriously, what does Iceman have to do to get a little respect around here ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Yeah, KC built a very solid, well rounded team from the ground up, relying heavily on home grown talent, and not overpaying aging hitters. They also shared a consistent philosophy and skill set at the plate of never being easy outs. To me, their success is even more impressive than SFs, which has at times relied heavily on herculian performances from the likes of MadBum.
          They had something like that in 2009, Grienke's first CY grade season. They trade him for a SS and spare parts. That SS had the winning hit in the deciding game.

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Seriously, what does Iceman have to do to get a little respect around here ?
          I thought I just gave him some.

J
          Last edited by onejayhawk; 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
          X