Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salazar vs. McCullers

Who do you think has the better career?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Who do you think has the better career?
    Well Salazar was a much more useful player for the Padres accumulating a 7+ WAR over his career and though McCullers only was around for 5 seasons with a miniscule 3+ WAR, he was a solid option out of the pen for the Friars...I'd say--Salazar.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Well Salazar was a much more useful player for the Padres accumulating a 7+ WAR over his career and though McCullers only was around for 5 seasons with a miniscule 3+ WAR, he was a solid option out of the pen for the Friars...I'd say--Salazar.
      Nice...guess I should have said 'will have' (between Danny and Lance).
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

How are you defining value? I only ask because in this case I think it varies a lot by what you use.

In roto I probably take Salazar because of the Ks. So maybe in 4x4 I take McCullers. I like McCullers a lot, and he's younger, but by the time age matters, it's so discounted that I don't count it for much.

I expect Salazar will be a guy who always underperforms his FIP. Boatload of Ks, but also very homer prone. That could make their roto value close. If you use a FIP-based WAR system like WARP or fWAR, I expect Salazar will dominate. If you use an ERA-based WAR system like bWAR, then McCullers might come out ahead.

Comment

McCullers was the 41st pick in 2012, falling that low after earliy speculation he could be a contender for the first overall pick, because some weren't sure he'd pan out as a starter. That was a great draft by the Stros, who went with Correa over Buxton, which allowed them to sign McCullers over slot. I have followed McCullers closely since he was in high school. I was a believer that stupidly fell for the pundits who quickly soured on him after his poor showing in 2014 (Klaw was super down on him--I often seem to get burnt on a player when I like him but get swayed by Klaw not liking him). I ended up throwing him in as a throw away sweetener in a deal, and he has turned into the best player in the deal. That is just some background to remind you that McCullers has had an up and down pedigree, and opinions have varied widely on what he would become.

I think he has shown what I thought I saw in him all along--he not only has top shelf stuff, but the command to harness that stuff as a starter. Salazar has a similar background in that there have been times when pundits were touting him as the next great thing, and times when some thought he could just as easily wash out as a starter and become an elite set up man instead. I see them as having similar careers, with the key differences being that McCullers is a couple of years ahead of Salazar in terms of harnessing his stuff at the highest level. Right now, I'd rank Salazar ahead of him developmentally, but not by much. In roto, I'd choose Salazar for next year. For their careers, I'd rank McCullers a tad ahead, because he is a couple of years younger, a couple of inches taller, and may end up being a little more durable.

Comment

Working...
          X