MLB to take over Dodgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB to take over Dodgers?

Just heard it on the A's/Redsox broadcast...
    Last edited by heyelander; 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Selig:
    “Pursuant to my authority as Commissioner, I informed Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt today that I will appoint a representative to oversee all aspects of the business and the day-to-day operations of the Club. I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers and to protect the best interests of the Club, its great fans and all of Major League Baseball. My office will continue its thorough investigation into the operations and finances of the Dodgers and related entities during the period of Mr. McCourt’s ownership. I will announce the name of my representative in the next several days.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Kemp, Sands, and Gordon to the Yankees for Bartolo Colon

Comment

Is that even legal?

Comment

It's legal...they did it with the Expos, and to an extent, the Rangers last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            It's legal...they did it with the Expos, and to an extent, the Rangers last season.
            The Montreal Dodgers ... I kinda like the sound of that ...
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Wouldn't that be something if Torre is the representative they assign to them..

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                Does Selig have any other daughters that don't own a team?
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Fred Wilpon just **** himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                    I assumed that he **** himself already over the winter. It had felt to me that the hiring of Sandy Alderson as GM was a similar (but lesser) move to what is happening to the Dodgers right now, just with a glimmer more tact. If Wilpon does need to be distanced further from the team, I could imagine a shift of Alderson to President of the Mets (or some similar title) at the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                      For once we agree.
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Be even better if the representative was Kim Ng.
                        I agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing. Selig and MLB have been trying like hell to get a team to take a chance on a female GM, and Ng is the most obvious choice. Putting her at the helm of the Dodgers could be just the trial period she needs to impress skittish owners. And, she's worked for the Dodgers, so she's a perfect fit.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Be even better if the representative was Kim Ng.
                          Eh, we don't need somebody with competence rescuing The Dogs. What's Cam Bonifay up to these days?
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Does anyone know if the Dodgers could have said no? Or is it written into all of the teams contracts that MLB could take them over at any point?

Comment

Weren't there always concerns that McCourt didn't really have the resources to operate a team in a major market that needs a major payroll? Wasn't Selig criticized for allowing the team to be sold to him in the first place?
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X