Thornton or Nathan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thornton or Nathan

I have an offer on the table where I send SS prospect Grant Green along with one of my good MRs (Clippard or Gregerson or Eduardo Sanchez) to a team for either Thornton or Nathan. I'm currently without a second true closer with Lidge out.

My question is, is either Thornton or Nathan worth trading for, and if so, which should I take? I'm primarily interested in this year, but it should be noted that both players are cheap keepers.
    Stand pat, Thornton and Nathan are no better than what you have
    0%
    Make the deal for Nathan
    0%
    Make the deal for Thornton
    0%

Also, if you think I should do the trade, who should I give back? My first inclination is Sanchez, but 8Ks in 3 IPs gives me pause, does he ahve any shot of closing this year?

Comment

I trust Thornton's skills more than Nathan. He didn't have TJ surgery at age 38. He did benefit from facing a greater percentage of lefties as a setup man than he did as a closer. But he has had a lot of bad luck so far. Skills-wise, I think he's a clear choice. But Ozzie is mad at him. And he may never recover from that. Santos could take the job and run with it. (I don't think Crain could, and I'm not 100% sure about Sal)

BUT... Nathan has less competition. If he gets right and throws 10 strong setup innings, he's probably back in the closer role.

I own Nathan. I think if someone offered me Thornton I'd pull the trigger.

I don't know much about Sanchez' background. I would be inclined to trade Clippard since he's clearly #3 behind Storen AND Burnett. But I am not sure I see TLR ever going with a rookie. So maybe Sanchez is the guy to trade. I just worry that another 20 innings of dominance would force TLR to put him in the role regardless of his age.

Comment

Thanks as always for your feedback joncarlos. I always look forward to your opinion. So, just to be clear, you think flipping Grant Green and Clippard for Thornton is a good gamble?

Also, somoene I didn't put on the trade back list is Lidge. Should I just give him back? With the way Contreras is pitching, is it a lock he ever gets his job back?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Thanks as always for your feedback joncarlos. I always look forward to your opinion. So, just to be clear, you think flipping Grant Green and Clippard for Thornton is a good gamble?

Also, somoene I didn't put on the trade back list is Lidge. Should I just give him back? With the way Contreras is pitching, is it a lock he ever gets his job back?
          I don't trust Lidge but supposedly he's throwing well, I think he's a better lottery ticket than Clippard. So yes, I'd trade Green/Clippard for Thornton and hope for the best. I don't think Green is the kind of prospect who would bring back a Bell or Wilson at the deadline. Strike now and hope that buying low works.

Comment

Working...
          X