Old School Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Baseball

Vs the reality of professional sports today.

Take out slides (obvious topic of conversation)

Celebrations

Replay

Advance Metrics

Should we move along into a new era of baseball or continue to adhere to the Old Code?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Honestly, I didn't have an issue with the Utley slide...it was aggressive as hell, but it was within the rules. I would like to see the Catcher rules returned to what there were, because honestly, nobody has a clue what they actually are. I see catchers blocking the plate, I see catchers NOT blocking the plate, I see runners trying physical impossibilities in order to get around a catcher, and I see it all interpreted differently. Players need to be aware out there, and unfortunately for Tejada, he wasn't last night. He should have taken the out and got out of the way, NEVER turn your back on a baserunner coming at you full tilt.

Celebrations are great, flip your bat 30 feet down the line, slow trot a homer, shoot an arrow into the sky, it's all good and it's all theatre. You don't like it on the opposite team? STFU and stop them from doing it next time.

No issues with replay other than the amount of time it can take...it makes the game better to get things right.

All good clubs are using advanced metrics now...can't stop progress and wouldn't want to.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm a stick-in-the-mud about wanting tough guy sliders into second base to actually touch second base, which Utley clearly did not. If Game 3 or 4 is a blowout, he's going to enjoy his own version of 19th century baseball while he is batting or handling a double play chance, I suspect.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

MLB changed the rules after Buster Posey's injury. This makes two shortstops with broken legs on "good, clean slides" within the last few weeks -- this should warrant a change. Unless of course, the groundswell will begin when a Carlos Correa type loses a season over this.

Comment

Except that MLB acknowledges that neighborhood plays in DP attempts are not reviewable - but they claim that in this case it was a simple force play with no effort at a DP. Which is preposterous. Both Tejada and Utley obviously both had a DP in mind, however unlikely.
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-11-2015, 11:57 AM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Actually Chris, though the Utley slide prompted the thread, it's been on my mind all season. There have been varied articles regarding the Code vs new players who like to celebrate. The Posey rules vs 2 players now being lost for the season at 2nd (you can find several slides thought the season where players go far out of the basebath to intentionally take out the fielder), Replay is still being half assed by the umps (see the Rangers-Jays games) and Metrics, haven't we been having a debate over the past 2 years regarding the MVP and it's use of counting stats Vs WAR? Everything is trending toward a new era. I just wanted to get some feedback.

I think there needs to be a clarification of the rule and an enforcement against takeout slides at least making them reviewable.

I think celebrations should be encouraged.

I think they should fix the defensive metric element in WAR before using it as the end all stat, but Advanced Metrics are they way.

And replay should be close to infallible, use it often, get it right. Shut the damn Umps ump, they are NOT what i go to the ballpark to see (talking to you Joe West)
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

As far as sliding and creating contact while running the bases:

If the players don't care if they hurt one another, why should the fans?

This applies to every sport as far as I am concerned.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I would love to see a middle infielder drop two knees into a base runners chest when they go 6 feet out of the baseline like that. Maybe if a base runner gets gashed with a cleat and leaves a pool of blood at second it will get someones attention.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's nice to see Utley actually, you know, slide in that other picture. I'm all for calling out-of-baseline shenanigans as well, but let's get rid of full-contact bum-rushing first....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Utley suspended for Games 3 & 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Honestly, I didn't have an issue with the Utley slide...it was aggressive as hell, but it was within the rules.
                      Except MLB has determined that Utley violated a rule with that slide.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Utley suspended for Games 3 & 4.
                        He is appealing.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                          He is appealing.
                          I guess, if you like that type.

just kidding
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Major sports leagues are so reactionary - domestic violence wasn't a big deal for the NFL until the Ray Rice thing brought it to the national spotlight then they went way overboard on every suspension for the rest of the year. Now, because it was a playoff game and the player got seriously injured, they assess a suspension for a play that (to my knowledge) has never been a suspendable offense.

I'd love to see the takeout rule changed, but that will have to be done after the season's over; any penalties imposed in-season are just PR moves.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                              Except MLB has determined that Utley violated a rule with that slide.
                              Except he didn't...You can call it dirty, you can call it aggressive, you can call Utley a cheap shot artist, you can call him a competitor. But until MLB decided it HAD to do something, nobody in any authority called it illegal. Torrey appears to contradict himself in the statement:

"After thoroughly reviewing the play from all conceivable angles, I have concluded that Mr. Utley's action warrants discipline, while I sincerely believe that Mr. Utley had no intention of injuring Ruben Tejada, and was attempting to help his Club in a critical situation, I believe his slide was in violation of Official Baseball Rule 5.09 (a) (13), which is designed to protect fielders from precisely this type of rolling block that occurs away from the base."

"The determination of whether a baserunner has intentionally interfered with a player attempting to turn a double play is left to the judgment of the Umpire on the field, and that judgment call is not subject to review, I should add that determining where to draw the line between an illegal slide and a legitimate hard play is an extremely difficult call for our Umpires."
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X