Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else leading by the skin of your teeth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else leading by the skin of your teeth?

Leading my 12 team AL Only by 1.5 pts. Optimistic about it, but it's not a sure thing. Had to add Frankie Montas to the fire (burned his eligibility for today's start, with such a close race in W and K's for me... But I've played the entire year with a burn and pillage mentality (traded $2 Roberto Osuna and 2 more $16 years of Josh Donaldson in separate trades, probably getting not enough value in either, which makes winning crucial in my mind... Especially given that I'm a Jays fan, and dealt 2 cheap keeper faves... dumb dumb dumb...

Anyway, if you're in the same boat, hanging on by the skin of your teeth and watching the scores all day, enjoy and good luck!
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

AL only, my brother is in a flat-footed tie, having had a 3 point lead Thursday......
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Not me, but in my original AL only league, the 2 top teams are tied for the lead. Several close categories. One guy has been leading for practically the whole year. I've never been in a league that ended in a tie. Should be interesting. The fact that there could also be a tie-break game in MLB makes it potentially even more interesting.

Comment

I was doing well in one of my leagues but seemingly half my team was shut down over the past 2 weeks and I've dropped from a sure 2nd to needing a good last day to stay in the money.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

In a sprint to the finish in my AL-only 5x5 league.

I've swapped the lead six times since 9/22 and there were two days where there was a tie at the end of the day. I re-took the lead after yesterday's games and find myself leading by two points this morning.

Six categories will be in play today that will determine the outcome! I've been playing this game since 1986 and don't recall this close of a race with so many categories still in play going in to the last day (I've played in two leagues that ended in ties, have lost twice on literally the last at bat of the season, and won once on the last day, but in those cases there were only one or two categories involved).

We have both held the lead at the end of the week in the overall standings 11 times this season (one of today's third place teams held it the other three weeks; the fifth place team trails the two teams tied of third by a point). I've had the best weekly stats five times this year - my opponent has had it eight times.

It's become a tradition that immediately after the auction I sit down with the guy I'm battling with to recount the events of the night, try to identify which teams will be strong and which are already out of the money, and dissect our acquisitions - bemoaning the moves of others and celebrating our "wins" at the auction table. Ironically, at the end of our analysis this year we couldn't figure out who would be favored to win. Looking back the answer is obvious .... we both had STRONG teams.

I hate to admit it, but it'll be OK if I finish second due to the fact that the man I'm competing with has never won our league, finishing second four times in our league's 19 year history (I have five pennants and four second place finishes); I want to win - don't get me wrong!

A long-time member of our league died unexpectedly last year right before the auction. He was famous for always saying, "It should be interesting."

Yes, Carl, it surely will.
          "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
          "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
          WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
          PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

The second place team in my AL league is 1 pt ahead of me. I'm vying for my 3rd straight runner-up prize (finished 1.5 back last year).

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...2-team-AL-HDID

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I have a 1 point lead in my AL only league and the team in second place is trailing me in ERA by .03 ERA. I have Pineda and D Norris pitching today and he has Salazar. I am 2 HRs from the next team. Of course 2 of my power guys are C Davis and J Abreu and they are going up against my pitchers so I have to hope they don't hit a HR against them. I still have Bautista, Encarnacion, Correa, Calhoun and Fielder so there is a chance, I had 4 HRs yesterday.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I went to bed up 1 in PONY, woke up down 1.5. I have 1257 Ks, and there are teams with 1249, 1255, 1258 and 1261.

Looks like I've got Haren, Porcello and Roark going. Del (1258) has Norris and Lildogs (1261) have nobody while Jeff (1255) has Lynn and Salazar and Dalaine (1249) has Cueto and Pineda

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  The second place team in my AL league is 1 pt ahead of me. I'm vying for my 3rd straight runner-up prize (finished 1.5 back last year).

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...2-team-AL-HDID
                  Kluber got him a win last night but Clippard got me one today, so he is 0.5 pts up on me. If the Pirates hold on I will gain 0.5 and he will lose 0.5, putting me in 2nd.

ETA: The Pirates hold on and I'm in second by 0.5. A few more hits for me today would have taken a point from him in AVG.

Skin of my teeth indeed.
                  Last edited by virgonomic; 10-04-2015, 05:19 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I won't win any leagues this year, but to make up for it, I moved from 2nd to 3rd in two leagues on the last day. In one league, first and second has been constant all season; the only day all season in which I will have held the second place spot will start tomorrow morning.

Comment

This isn't me, but in my league I had a big lead in 1st, but there was a tight fight for 2nd between 2 teams. Going into the last day of the season one Team A was ahead by 1 pt, but WHIP, R, SV, AVG, and Ks were all really close, maybe others too. Team B had Buehrle (ouch) which immediately trashed his WHIP. But he also had Hamels, and Salazar. So after Team B dropped a point in WHIP early, with each IP of Hamels' great last game it was getting closer and closer to reclaiming that point. Team A had Happ and Matt Moore, who both won. With only an inning of so left in most games A was up by 0.5 pts, and Hamels kept knocking them down. But the TEX game ended and B was still behind in WHIP (CBS only shows 2 decimal places, so this is all just different unknown levels of 1.24 WHIP here). Oh! But B has Britton as a closer who could gain him a half point as he's currently tied in saves! But then Happ and Moore's wins went final, so A gains another .5 pt in that category, taking a 1pt lead. This makes it seem that the Britton save wouldn't help after all, and then Chris Davis hits his 47th HR to remove the save opportunity. Oh well, it's all over for Team B. Britton comes in anyways... one out... two outs... and with the 2nd out - the 2nd to last out of the season as that was the final game of the day - Team B's WHIP gains a point. Britton gets out #3 and A and B end up tied for 2nd. On literally the last IP of the season. Sheesh. WHIP ended 1.2475 vs 1.2479. And B ended up in runs with 851 to a close-behind 850.

Comment

a couple of years ago, I was in a dead heat for 4-5-6, with 4-5 paying out money.
                        Luke Gregerson on the mound for SD in the last inning of the season, and he gets the 1-2-3 inning.

I spent about 20 minutes pounding the website for refreshed standings - before realizing that I still missed by 1 baserunner, so 6th overall and no money instead of 4th alone. that was a sad, existential stare at the computer monitor.....
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Our AL only league was won by half a point on the last day. Unfortunately I was not either of those.

Comment

My league went to the second tiebreaker to determine this year's champ. We'd had to use the first tiebreaker once, but never the second.

Team A led comfortably for the first half of the season, but Team B caught fire and passed him in mid August.

Team B led for most of September, but Team A caught back up with about 15 days to go. Starting with about 7 days to go, the lead changed almost daily.

They were tied after the next-to-last day, and neither gained or lost any points on the last day.

First tiebreaker is that the team who is ahead of the other in more categories wins. Team A was ahead in 5, Team B was ahead in 5. On to the second tiebreaker.

The second tiebreaker is that the team who finishes first in the most categories wins. Team A finished first in 2 categories, Team B finished first in 5. Therefore, Team B is the winner.

Third tiebreaker is most AB + IP. Glad it didn't have to go to that.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

We don't have a 2nd tiebreaker.

has never come up for a title in our 32-yr NL version, but we did a 1992-94 AL offshoot with about half of the same owners. I was a co-champ in that one, which was fine
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X