Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Kershaw in 2016? Auction league

14 team..mixed..5x5...$300 budget

Kershaw is $65 if kept in 2016. That equates to about $56 for normal $260 budget.

I know other variables will factor into the decision, but would you think about keeping him?

I have Arrieta for $6, so I can have both for $71.

Thanks.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I have Kershaw for $44 in NL-only, and looking at a $70 trifecta with Greinke $25 and Rubby $1. I yin and yang-ed the hell out of this trio in the 2nd half.

I do like the linking, but it depends what else you have, what the inflation rate is, and so forth....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

What would he fetch in the auction?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        What would he fetch in the auction?
        Same league as me. I would project $65-75. Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson in their prime went for $70 in past auctions of this 25 year league. We have a couple of long-time managers who love to use the stars and scrubs strategy.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Same league as me. I would project $65-75. Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson in their prime went for $70 in past auctions of this 25 year league. We have a couple of long-time managers who love to use the stars and scrubs strategy.
          Then I'd keep him, assuming you have the room to do so. Obviously, if you have more $6 superstars on your roster, keep them over the at value Kershaw.

But if you have the room, I'd keep him. I too am in a weird 14 team keeper league that has a bigger cap than normal ($400), and I find that inflation in such a league is not as simple as equating it to a $260 league. The very top players tend to eat up more of that extra money. It is hard for folks who have just done $260 leagues to see a crazy price like this and say to keep him, but madducks verified what I would have thought would be the case. You have Arrieta at a huge value, so spend that extra money of the best talent you can get--Kershaw, Trout, Goldy etc are the sorts of guys to spend the extra cash on in a league this size, and with caps that big.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Then I'd keep him, assuming you have the room to do so. Obviously, if you have more $6 superstars on your roster, keep them over the at value Kershaw.

But if you have the room, I'd keep him. I too am in a weird 14 team keeper league that has a bigger cap than normal ($400), and I find that inflation in such a league is not as simple as equating it to a $260 league. The very top players tend to eat up more of that extra money. It is hard for folks who have just done $260 leagues to see a crazy price like this and say to keep him, but madducks verified what I would have thought would be the case. You have Arrieta at a huge value, so spend that extra money of the best talent you can get--Kershaw, Trout, Goldy etc are the sorts of guys to spend the extra cash on in a league this size, and with caps that big.
            You are spot on about the difference in inflation for the top players vs the rest of the player pool. Trout ($75), Goldschmidt ($73), and Miggy ($72) were the three most expensive players in this league last year. There were only ten other players (including Kershaw) priced over $40. So, the crazy inflation was only true for the top 13 players and prices normalized after that. All other players (excluding cheap keepers) were priced closer to what you would find with a standard $260 budget.

The $300 team payroll is a good way to allow each manager to get a little crazy on one player at the auction without wrecking their budget. We have one manager who likes to get 4 or 5 of the more expensive players and then pick from the scraps at the end. Several managers won't go over $40 for any player. And they have all finished in the money at one time or another so there is no one exact formula for success.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              The $300 team payroll is a good way to allow each manager to get a little crazy on one player at the auction without wrecking their budget. We have one manager who likes to get 4 or 5 of the more expensive players and then pick from the scraps at the end. Several managers won't go over $40 for any player. And they have all finished in the money at one time or another so there is no one exact formula for success.
              Of course not, it's all luck!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Your goal is to protect as much profit as you can. There's no profit there

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  14 team..mixed..5x5...$300 budget

Kershaw is $65 if kept in 2016. That equates to about $56 for normal $260 budget.

I know other variables will factor into the decision, but would you think about keeping him?

I have Arrieta for $6, so I can have both for $71.

Thanks.
                  Since you have Arrieta that can be your Ace, I would want to spend the big money on a bat.

If you have some cheap bats, I can also see keeping Kershaw. I just hate spending a large part of my budget on a single pitcher, even if his name is Kershaw.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I am not afraid to spend money on keepers if I think they will produce. I have had great success in this league the last 10 years, so my strategy has been working pretty good. And I am obviously the luckiest guy in the league. Spending $130-140 on keepers doesn't faze me in this league.

I will be keeping Altuve ($29) and probably Carpenter ($16). And then take flyers on $1 players: Mi. Taylor, Deshields, Happ (if resigns with Pirates), Tolleson, Osuna, Vizcaino (if closing). Maybe even Chris Carter for $7 and take the average hit.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                    X