Chicken or the Egg? Home Field Advantage for Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken or the Egg? Home Field Advantage for Playoffs

Can any of our statistically minded friends help answer this question?

Home field advantage in the playoffs seems to confer a real advantage and improve a team's odds of winning or advancing. But home field advantage results from having a better record. So is it cause or effect? Does home field advantage itself matter? Or is it simply a reflection / result of being a better team?

Thanks!! I assume some regression analysis can answer the question. But I haven't got easy access to the data or ability & time to run the analysis.

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    Can any of our statistically minded friends help answer this question?

Home field advantage in the playoffs seems to confer a real advantage and improve a team's odds of winning or advancing. But home field advantage results from having a better record. So is it cause or effect? Does home field advantage itself matter? Or is it simply a reflection / result of being a better team?

Thanks!! I assume some regression analysis can answer the question. But I haven't got easy access to the data or ability & time to run the analysis.
    Actually, I read an article awhile ago that said that the home field advantage is much less in the post-season than in the regular season. IIRC HF advantage is about 55% or so in regular season but only about 51%-52% in post-season. Still a slight advantage but there arent enough post-season games for this to show up in any 1 post-season. So it may not make much difference. I can try and find the article, if you like (Hardball Times, I believe).

That said, your premise might be correct (correlation w/o causation). I dont know. But I think it may be mostly insignificant either way.

Comment

Working...
    X