Who's the NL MVP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the NL MVP?

Having this discussion in the Mets thread, makes sense to make its own thread. Who you backin?
    Bryce Harper, WAS
    0%
    Yoenis Cespedes, NYM
    0%
    Zach Grienke, LA
    0%
    Paul Goldschmidt, ARZ
    0%
    Jake Arrieta, CHC
    0%
    Anthony Rizzo, CHC
    0%
    Buster Posey, SF
    0%
    Andrew McCutchen, PIT
    0%
    Jason Heyward, STL
    0%
    Joey Votto, CIN
    0%
    Nolan Arenado, COL
    0%
    Other
    0%

The poll is expired.

Yeah, even as a Mets homer, I would have to say Harper easily. Cespedes has been absurd though and unbelievably valuable to this Mets run.

Comment

As I said in the other thread...Harper's season long stats are otherworldly.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        Yeah, even as a Mets homer, I would have to say Harper easily. Cespedes has been absurd though and unbelievably valuable to this Mets run.
        Cespedes has been in the NL for only six weeks, would be shocked if he got any support (same for Schwarber).

Harper and his 1.113 OPS and 8.9 WAR in a landslide, the real question is who finishes second.

Comment

It's Harper and it's not even close. It should be unanimous despite the sorry management & performance around him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
            Cespedes has been in the NL for only six weeks, would be shocked if he got any support (same for Schwarber).

Harper and his 1.113 OPS and 8.9 WAR in a landslide, the real question is who finishes second.
            CC Sabathia finished 6th in NL MVP voting in 2008; Doyle Alexander finished 4th in AL Cy Young voting in 1987; Randy Johnson received solid support in 1998 Cy and MVP voting; and of course, Rick Sutcliffe won the 1984 NL Cy after coming over in mid-June. Players who have crossed leagues and had the kind of impact Cespedes has had DO receive significant support in the award races.

Harper is having an other-worldly year, which likely will negate the epic collapse of the Nats, but if Cespedes finishes the season like he's playing now, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Top 5 finish for him.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              You da real MVP, Revo!
              Awwww. You guys like me, you really like me!

Comment

You da real MVP, Revo!
                What he said!
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Harper in a landslide. Not even close, imo.
                  What he said...this isn't even a discussion...no way a pitcher wins it this year with the year Harper is having...if Cespedes was in the NL the entire year and performed like this, then we'd have a discussion, otherwise.......next question

Comment

I voted for Harper.

As I've discussed before, I don't think this should be an award available to pitchers (because they already have the Cy Young, give the hitters a Babe Ruth award for best hitter and then the MVP could be open to all, as it should be).

I think Harper wins this going away, however, I think quietly Nolan Arenado has put up a serious season. He could quite easily get to 40 HRs (only two more to go) while playing Gold Glove defense at a key position.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      I voted for Harper.

As I've discussed before, I don't think this should be an award available to pitchers (because they already have the Cy Young, give the hitters a Babe Ruth award for best hitter and then the MVP could be open to all, as it should be).
                      Or a Barry Bonds Award.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I forgot about Manny Ramirez, who in 2008 came to the Dodgers in a 7/31 trade and finished 4th in the NL MVP voting that season. So two players traded at the deadline in '08 (Manny, Sabathia) ended up finishing in the Top 6 for MVP in their new league.

Jim Bowden and Casey Stern had a similar discussion today on XM's MLB Channel, and both felt in this era of interleague play, players really should no longer be penalized for getting traded cross-leagues and basically losing their total seasonal stats. Both think if the vote were held today, Cespedes would probably finish second or third behind Harper & Goldy.

Comment

Holy cow, check out Bryce Harper's HR spray chart. https://twitter.com/darenw/status/644320915656867840
                          Looks a bit like JD Martinez'
                          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

I thought this was an interesting way to look at Cespedes and his NL stats: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/other...-runs-in-2015/
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                            X