How to take a fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take a fall

This is mostly just a venting session so proceed at your own will.

After bouncing between 1st and 2nd in my 12-team NL-only, it's looking increasingly likely I'll slip to 3rd by the end of the year (an ~$200 drop from 2nd to 3rd, $800 from 1st to 3rd). Here's how that's possible:

Mark Trumbo traded to AL - was looking at the silver lining that I'd get Wellington Castillo back but nooooo, someone actually had Vidal Nuno rostered who was lower in the standings than me so he got all these damn homers; no one else in the trade was worth a damn so I lost him for nothing
    Johnny Cueto traded to AL - not only was he one of my best keepers at $10, all I've gotten back for him are some mediocre starts by John Lamb
    Cole Hamels traded to AL - got absolutely nothing worthwhile in return (there were some nice prospects but we can't keep anyone involved in the trade)
    Ben Revere traded to AL - got nothing back, he was my main SB guy

Kolten Wong in August - .255 OBP, 0 HR, 9 R, 9 RBI, 3 SB
    Yasmani Grandal in August - .279 OBP, 1 HR, 3 R, 5 RBI
    Todd Frazier in August - .268 OBP, 3 HR, 11 R, 10 RBI, 1 SB

Add to that the fact that my pitchers can't buy a win (the bullpens of Lackey and Robbie Ray blew a couple easy wins for them on Monday) and I have a slim 0.5 point win. I need some good luck!

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    this is mostly just a venting session so proceed at your own will.

After bouncing between 1st and 2nd in my 12-team nl-only, it's looking increasingly likely i'll slip to 3rd by the end of the year (an ~$200 drop from 2nd to 3rd, $800 from 1st to 3rd). Here's how that's possible:

Mark trumbo traded to al - was looking at the silver lining that i'd get wellington castillo back but nooooo, someone actually had vidal nuno rostered who was lower in the standings than me so he got all these damn homers; no one else in the trade was worth a damn so i lost him for nothing
    johnny cueto traded to al - not only was he one of my best keepers at $10, all i've gotten back for him are some mediocre starts by john lamb
    cole hamels traded to al - got absolutely nothing worthwhile in return (there were some nice prospects but we can't keep anyone involved in the trade)
    ben revere traded to al - got nothing back, he was my main sb guy

kolten wong in august - .255 obp, 0 hr, 9 r, 9 rbi, 3 sb
    yasmani grandal in august - .279 obp, 1 hr, 3 r, 5 rbi
    todd frazier in august - .268 obp, 3 hr, 11 r, 10 rbi, 1 sb

add to that the fact that my pitchers can't buy a win (the bullpens of lackey and robbie ray blew a couple easy wins for them on monday) and i have a slim 0.5 point win. I need some good luck!
    and that is why in my only league you get to keep for the remaining of the season the players who get traded over.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      This is mostly just a venting session so proceed at your own will.

After bouncing between 1st and 2nd in my 12-team NL-only, it's looking increasingly likely I'll slip to 3rd by the end of the year (an ~$200 drop from 2nd to 3rd, $800 from 1st to 3rd). Here's how that's possible:

Mark Trumbo traded to AL - was looking at the silver lining that I'd get Wellington Castillo back but nooooo, someone actually had Vidal Nuno rostered who was lower in the standings than me so he got all these damn homers; no one else in the trade was worth a damn so I lost him for nothing
      Johnny Cueto traded to AL - not only was he one of my best keepers at $10, all I've gotten back for him are some mediocre starts by John Lamb
      Cole Hamels traded to AL - got absolutely nothing worthwhile in return (there were some nice prospects but we can't keep anyone involved in the trade)
      Ben Revere traded to AL - got nothing back, he was my main SB guy

Kolten Wong in August - .255 OBP, 0 HR, 9 R, 9 RBI, 3 SB
      Yasmani Grandal in August - .279 OBP, 1 HR, 3 R, 5 RBI
      Todd Frazier in August - .268 OBP, 3 HR, 11 R, 10 RBI, 1 SB

Add to that the fact that my pitchers can't buy a win (the bullpens of Lackey and Robbie Ray blew a couple easy wins for them on Monday) and I have a slim 0.5 point win. I need some good luck!
      I have never understood why leagues still play with that rule. I get it that it's fun to laugh at the guy it happens to, but the intent (in my opinion) is that the team that wins should be the one that did the best job in forecasting what's going to happen. These kinds of losses are 99% bad luck, and do nothing but skew the standings in the favor of the owners who were just luckier. To me, that's kind of dumb, and I wouldn't play in a league that doesn't at least allow a players stats to continue to count through the remainder of the year.

Comment

Yea, main reason I've never played in an only league.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I can go either way, but one thing I can tell you is that while you guys were likely pretty bored with the July 31 trade deadline fantasy-wise, it was incredibly exciting and dramatic in our league. there are worse things in fantasy sports play than exciting and dramatic.

I lost Tulo and Revere (a week after I acquired him), but landed Cespedes in return.
          The Trumbo/Cueto loser had to make a gut call on Reyes the period before that, he passed and then I whizzed by him for the next period.

Plus the arguments here dismiss the very real impact that injuries have. The guy who lost Stanton is screwed, but the guy who loses Tulo to AL is left whole. I lead the league in ERA, Ratio, and IP by a comfortable margin - but am 5th in Wins. I'm not made whole by that.

What I REALLY don't get is why it seems like most "keep the stats" advocates are so insistent on knocking "dumb" people who go a different route. Saying what you prefer and why is sufficient.

Really.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Hmmm...I've gotta disagree that most of these deals are bad luck. Coming into this year, let's review:

- Everyone and their brother knew the Phillies were trying to deal Hamels; this saga has been going on for two years.
            - And it was pretty obvious the Phillies were in fire sale mode for just about any breathing veteran on their roster.
            - Cueto going into free agency at the end of the year was a prime target for dealing if the Reds did poorly. Most bought Cueto on the concept that the Reds would be competitive and they'd keep him, but it was a pretty well-known risk that Cueto would likely go if the Reds were bad.
            - Trumbo's been rumored to be moved for over a year.
            - The Rockies have been looking to deal Tulo since at least the end of last year (possibly longer, if you believe the St. Louis rumors). And we all knew the Rockies would suck. It's just if a team would meet the asking price plus absorb the contract.
            - Reyes is a surprise, but more because everyone thought Toronto would be competitive. But no one dreamed they'd be able to land Tulo.
            - Venable has been offered up by the Pads for a couple of years.

I still went after Cueto since his downgraded price due to risk seemed to be worth it.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This is why i only play in mixed leagues. You guys know it's happening every July 31. Why subject yourself to this misery every season?
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                and that is why in my only league you get to keep for the remaining of the season the players who get traded over.
                It looks like he did get the players acquired, except in the Trumbo deal where someone had another player involved, but they didn't amount to much.

I played in a hardcore NL-only for about 3 or 4 years, but really hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Hmmm...I've gotta disagree that most of these deals are bad luck. Coming into this year, let's review:

- Everyone and their brother knew the Phillies were trying to deal Hamels; this saga has been going on for two years.
                  - And it was pretty obvious the Phillies were in fire sale mode for just about any breathing veteran on their roster.
                  - Cueto going into free agency at the end of the year was a prime target for dealing if the Reds did poorly. Most bought Cueto on the concept that the Reds would be competitive and they'd keep him, but it was a pretty well-known risk that Cueto would likely go if the Reds were bad.
                  - Trumbo's been rumored to be moved for over a year.
                  - The Rockies have been looking to deal Tulo since at least the end of last year (possibly longer, if you believe the St. Louis rumors). And we all knew the Rockies would suck. It's just if a team would meet the asking price plus absorb the contract.
                  - Reyes is a surprise, but more because everyone thought Toronto would be competitive. But no one dreamed they'd be able to land Tulo.
                  - Venable has been offered up by the Pads for a couple of years.

I still went after Cueto since his downgraded price due to risk seemed to be worth it.
                  that is another aspect - the auction is more challenging when you have to decide if you're willing to take on risk of totally losing the player. I got Tulo at a modest discount because of it. There's nothing wrong with people or leagues being more risk-averse, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    It looks like he did get the players acquired, except in the Trumbo deal where someone had another player involved, but they didn't amount to much.

I played in a hardcore NL-only for about 3 or 4 years, but really hated it.
                    I MENT YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL PLAYERS WHO GET TRADED OVER TO THE OTHER LEAGUE. iN MY CASE I HAD CESPEDES AND STILL DO EVEN THO HE PLAYS IN THE NL.

Comment

I understood going into the year that some of my players had the chance of being traded. But the fact that all four guys got traded to the AL and I got virtually nothing back in return (usually there's at least a decent major league-ready prospect who comes back) is pretty damn unlucky. I made sure not to make any big trades before the deadline because I was aware that I could lose some of my best players - just didn't expect to get hit so hard. The real kick in the pants is that pretty much all my hitting heroes from the first half are really taking a dump in the second half.

There are some in my league who have been pushing to use the grandfather rule and I think I might be on board at this point.

Comment

I have no quarrel with that.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                        X