Need an NL starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an NL starter

need a starter and only viable choices are John Lamb. Roark and Chase Anderson. Need wins and Ks first. Need to not lose ground in ERA but can take slight hit in WHIP. Would appreciate opinions.

For the rest of the season? I've seen some articles about Roark taking Joe Ross's job once they shut him down, but I have to think after the Strasburg shutdown arguments and how that played out, they'll be hesitant to shut down Ross if he's still pitching well and they're fighting to make the playoffs.

I'd probably take Anderson because he was good for a while earlier this season and I can see Arizona's offense winning him more games than Cincy. When do you have to decide? I could be wrong about Roark, and he'd probably be the best choice if he really does join the rotation.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Lamb's K rate has been great but he's been victimized by the long ball. He's facing the same Milwaukee team he shut down pretty well over the weekend later this week so I'm expecting a good outing there. After that he faces the Cardinals at home (meh) and then the Giants on the road (meh).

Roark's the only one who has a decent chance at some wins, Lamb will get you some K's, and Anderson should be okay all-around. I'd probably gamble on Roark.

Comment

Wow, if those are your only 3 choices and you do not want to take a hit in ERA, not sure any of those will do. Of the group, Anderson has had 15 of his 23 starts go for less than 3 ER, but in those other 8 games, he's given up 44 runs in 39 2/3 innings!!! And, ironically, 4 of those 8 have been against the worst teams in the NL (COL, MIL, PHI). In Roark's 6 starts, he's been up and down with 3 games <2ER and 3 games >4ER. Lamb, has been trending in the right direction, but Cincy's schedule the rest of the way features series with 5 teams who are either in or fighting very close to the playoffs.

It's a tough call...if the rotations stay on schedule and both Anderson and Lamb go every 5th day, their matchups will be against tough playoff bound teams like STL, NYM, LAD and it's not a certainty that Roark will pick up wins in a relief role. Wins will be scarce for any of the three...based on who they play for, who they will be playing and how deep they pitch into a game (both Anderson and Lamb are averaging 5 2/3 IP). Based on K alone, Lamb is the choice, but a rookie pitcher with those upcoming matchups...no thanks; based on W alone, Roark is likely the best bet, just based on the team he plays for and the fact that 20 of WAS final games are against ATL, PHI and MIA. But, when does he get called back up and, when he does, what will his role be?

Personally, I'd role with Anderson, but that's only because you have those three as the only options.

Comment

Working...
        X