X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB rookie status question

per the mlb rule book rookie status is defined as:

* 130 at bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues
    * 45 days on the active roster of a major league club (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1)

So I know that any player called up after for roster expansion on Sept 1 will not have their AB or Innings counted towards rookie status.

But lets say that a pitcher is called up early August and has 30 innings pitched as of Aug 31. That pitcher then pitches another 20+ innings in Sept and would give them over 50 innings pitched for the season.

So my questions is that do the Sept innings count against rookie status? Would MLB still consider that player a rookie the following season?

can someone post any links to official MLB rules that cover this? I have looked thru the pdf rules file on mlb.com but do not see anything about rookie stats.

thanks for any help.

My understanding is that September at bats and innings do count when determining rookie status for the following season and it's just the days on the roster in September that don't count. The rule doesn't state any exclusions to when the innings or at bats must be accumulated.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think you are wrong. I found this on MLB.com

Determining rookie status:
      A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

The would I would read this is that days or stats during Sept do not count. But that is they way that I understand it. What do others see this rule to say?

I do not know if the underlined part of the rule applies to (a) and (b) or just (b)??????

thanks for any comments!

Comment

just b. for example, Javier Baez was called up in August last year and had 213 AB and lost his rookie status that year. see http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...baezja01.shtml
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I also read it as the days do not count, but accumulated innings or at bats do count during the period of September 1 and later.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
            I think you are wrong. I found this on MLB.com

Determining rookie status:
            A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

The would I would read this is that days or stats during Sept do not count. But that is they way that I understand it. What do others see this rule to say?

I do not know if the underlined part of the rule applies to (a) and (b) or just (b)??????

thanks for any comments!
            I read it as only the active days during September do not count; the at bats or IP is a separate point here.

Comment

Someone is wondering about severino

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                I also read it as the days do not count, but accumulated innings or at bats do count during the period of September 1 and later.
                Correct.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                X