Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Keeper unthinkable: trade Correa for a league-winning bounty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Keeper unthinkable: trade Correa for a league-winning bounty?

Six weeks left, I'm still in the money (top 3) but it's becoming a dogfight to STAY in the money.

1st place: 114.5 pts
    2nd place (me): 98.5 pts
    3rd place: 96 pts
    4th place (two teams tied): 90.5

Everyone out of contention in my keeper league wants Correa -- duh -- and while I'd be weeping every time I saw him do something awesome for the next two years, that sadness would be balanced by winning a big pile of money this year. So, the owner of some top non-keeper bats/categories I need to hold off the guys below and make a run at the top guy -- Altuve (AVG/SBs/Rs), Chris Davis (HR/RBI/OBP/R), AGonz (HR/R/RBI) -- might flip all three of those guys for Correa, Odor (also a good keeper) and a throw-in keeper like Panik or Aoki. (KEEPER RULES: No salaries involved, we can keep anyone drafted 10th round or later for two years at that same round...waiver pickups are 24th round. Correa and Odor were both waiver guys, so 24th rounders. Crazy value esp. for Correa.)

BEFORE DEAL...
    C: Castillo
    1B: Goldy
    2B: Cano
    SS: Correa
    3B: Donaldson
    CI: Fielder
    MI: Odor
    OF: Trout, N.Cruz, Pollock, Aoki
    DH: D.Peralta
    BENCH/DL: B.Hamilton, Panik, N.Hundley

AFTER DEAL...
    SS: A.Escobar (or some free agent SS I snag)
    CI: P.Fielder
    MI: J.Altuve
    OF: Trout, N.Cruz, Pollock, C.Davis
    DH: A.Gonzalez
    BENCH/DL: B.Hamilton, Peralta, N.Hundley, Aoki/Panik

I could probably stay in the money, knock wood, with the guys I have, but this trade could lock it down, albeit while losing perhaps the best SS prospect to come along in 20 years.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

My first thought would be that you should tell him to go !#%$^ himself. Second thought too. Hang on, another thought's coming in and ... nope, same thing.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
      Six weeks left, I'm still in the money (top 3) but it's becoming a dogfight to STAY in the money.

1st place: 114.5 pts
      2nd place (me): 98.5 pts
      3rd place: 96 pts
      4th place (two teams tied): 90.5

Everyone out of contention in my keeper league wants Correa -- duh -- and while I'd be weeping every time I saw him do something awesome for the next two years, that sadness would be balanced by winning a big pile of money this year. So, the owner of some top non-keeper bats/categories I need to hold off the guys below and make a run at the top guy -- Altuve (AVG/SBs/Rs), Chris Davis (HR/RBI/OBP/R), AGonz (HR/R/RBI) -- might flip all three of those guys for Correa, Odor (also a good keeper) and a throw-in keeper like Panik or Aoki. (KEEPER RULES: No salaries involved, we can keep anyone drafted 10th round or later for two years at that same round...waiver pickups are 24th round. Correa and Odor were both waiver guys, so 24th rounders. Crazy value esp. for Correa.)

BEFORE DEAL...
      SS: Correa
      CI: Fielder
      MI: Odor
      OF: Trout, N.Cruz, Pollock, Aoki
      DH: D.Peralta
      BENCH/DL: B.Hamilton, Panik, N.Hundley

AFTER DEAL...
      SS: A.Escobar (or some free agent SS I snag)
      CI: P.Fielder
      MI: J.Altuve
      OF: Trout, N.Cruz, Pollock, C.Davis
      DH: A.Gonzalez
      BENCH/DL: B.Hamilton, Peralta, N.Hundley, Aoki/Panik

I could probably stay in the money, knock wood, with the guys I have, but this trade could lock it down, albeit while losing perhaps the best SS prospect to come along in 20 years.

Thoughts? Thanks!
      16 points is a lot to make up in six weeks so that trade might not be enough to get you into 1st place.

It depends on the amount of money you are talking about if you don't win. In other words would you rather stay in the money for sure and lose Correa or keep Correa and possibly fall out of the money? And who would be your other keepers?

I personally love to go for it every year and think about the future when that time arrives so I would probably make the deal if I thought I legitimately could catch first place (and also if 2nd place money is a fair amount).
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think I'd need a lot more certainty if I was going to trade Correa in mid-August on the hope of moving up 16 points. And I'd certainly tell other people that if I was considering trading. There's no chance I would add extra players in with Correa for a couple expiring contracts, and I'm not sure I'd do it with just Correa. Although I guess with the league that close the guy selling has a bit of leverage if the other teams in 3rd-5th are interested in dealing too... but still.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Only way I do that is if power and OBP are bunched up and you can gain a pile of points - like ten or more.

Otherwise, see Controller Jacobs answer.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Ha, go F#!@@ himself is certainly an option

C- J.McCann
            1B-Cron
            2B- Villar
            SS- Andrus
            3B-Baez
            MI-L. Gurriel
            CI- Y.Gurriel
            UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

I don't know enough to say, but I will say that I would trade CC, or anyone (and have--I have dealt folks like Trout, Harper, Bungarner etc), IF it 100% locked up a title. Given the ground you have to make up in 6 weeks, I suspect that making this deal won't make you a mortal lock to win it all, and trust me, there is no worse feeling that trading a true superstar keeper for a title and falling just shy of getting it. Again, I would NOT do this deal, unless I was certain I'd win the title. IF I were, I'd have to do it--Flags Fly Forever, and it sounds like you'd only lose out on CC as a great value keeper for 2 years. That isn't so bad if it gets you a title.

Comment

Hey, get a protect-able player(s) back among the incoming players !

Comment

That's not enough to make up a gap of that size.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    That's not enough to make up a gap of that size.
                    If I had a nickel for every time a woman said that to me...
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      If I had a nickel for every time a woman said that to me...
                      You'd have a quarter, yes?
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This is why I love this place...astute advice that also makes me LOL, as the kids say.

C- J.McCann
                        1B-Cron
                        2B- Villar
                        SS- Andrus
                        3B-Baez
                        MI-L. Gurriel
                        CI- Y.Gurriel
                        UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          You'd have a quarter, yes?
                          If that.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I did trade Correa in my AL league. We give out 4 year Titles tho and I am in first place in that Standing. I WOULD NOT GIVE HIM ANYONE ELSE . When I am in the position you are in (not sure to trade a stud keeper) I always ask for the farm. They usually whine about giving up to much but I tell them - fine I'll just keep him. If they want him BAD enough they will give you want you want.

Comment

I started by offering him Odor (keeper) for Altuve (non-keeper), straight up. Will see what he says.

C- J.McCann
                              1B-Cron
                              2B- Villar
                              SS- Andrus
                              3B-Baez
                              MI-L. Gurriel
                              CI- Y.Gurriel
                              UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Working...
                              X