Was this a bad call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this a bad call?

The official website of the Oakland Athletics with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

6.05 A batter is out when—
    (k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball
    is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or
    inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing
    interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is
    dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three-foot line or inside (to
    the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a
    batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane.
    The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the
    immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      6.05 A batter is out when—
      (k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball
      is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or
      inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing
      interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is
      dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three-foot line or inside (to
      the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a
      batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane.
      The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the
      immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.
      So it was a bad call.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have no skin in this game, but...

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        So it was a bad call.
        Um, no...at no time did Fuld have both feet INSIDE the lane (or on the line)...and at no point did he exit the lane for the purpose of reaching the base. In fact, he did the complete opposite, he stepped on the line (the only time, for that matter) on his last step before striding to the bag.

6.05(k) comment clearly states the runner is required to have BOTH feet within the three foot lane or on the line and the only time he may have was his last 2 steps...

Also, for those that think it was not intentional...he started 3 feet INSIDE the line with, I have to imagine, the sole purpose of being in front of the catchers' throw to first base...it was a bunt, after all...he knew the catcher was the only one making a play for the ball.

Comment

Looked like he never got inside the lane like the rule says. Can't tell if the ejections were warranted but it looked like the ump made correct call on the play.

Comment

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              He was in the lane the entire time or really, really close to it. Terrible call. I didn't even think the lane was an issue at all, which is why I didn't post that part of the rules --- I assumed that the ump (wrongly) thought that his arm interfered with Davis making the catch.

I've watched it a dozen times now and it looks like a worse and worse call every time I watch it.
              No offense d, but you have to get your eyes checked then...the 'lane' is the 3 ft wide space between the two white lines...he never was within that space. This was a good call based on Fuld's initial path being so far within the playing field. I will agree that if Joseph's throw was to the left of Davis, this isn't called, though. But, because Fuld never was within the lane, it had to be called given the throw.

Comment

He was in the lane the entire time or really, really close to it. Terrible call. I didn't even think the lane was an issue at all, which is why I didn't post that part of the rules --- I assumed that the ump (wrongly) thought that his arm interfered with Davis making the catch.

I've watched it a dozen times now and it looks like a worse and worse call every time I watch it.
                He wasn't in the lane at any time. Not sure how you can't see that.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by luckyheel View Post
                  I have no skin in this game, but...

Um, no...at no time did Fuld have both feet INSIDE the lane (or on the line)...and at no point did he exit the lane for the purpose of reaching the base. In fact, he did the complete opposite, he stepped on the line (the only time, for that matter) on his last step before striding to the bag.

6.05(k) comment clearly states the runner is required to have BOTH feet within the three foot lane or on the line and the only time he may have was his last 2 steps...

Also, for those that think it was not intentional...he started 3 feet INSIDE the line with, I have to imagine, the sole purpose of being in front of the catchers' throw to first base...it was a bunt, after all...he knew the catcher was the only one making a play for the ball.
                  The commentators said with the bunt, the lane no longer exists. I don't know of such a rule but it makes sense in that a bunt is going to pull your momentum inside the line. That said, the rule does say "the last half of the distance" and Fuld was inside the baseline the whole time.
                  Last edited by virgonomic; 08-19-2015, 01:41 AM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    The commentators said with the bunt, the lane no longer exists. I don't know if such a rule but it makes sense in that a bunt is going to pull your momentum inside the line. That said, the rule does say "the last half of the distance" and Fuld was inside the baseline the whole time.
                    No, there is no exception for the bunt.

See Tyson Ross, bottom of the 2nd, May 14, vs. Washington. He was called out on a play similar to this one.
                    Or Alcides Escobar, bottom of the 4th, August 14, 2014, vs. Oakland.
                    Or Irving Falu, top of the 6th, July 12, 2014, vs. Dodgers.
                    Or Donovan Solano, bottom of the 5th, July 3, 2014, vs. Oakland.
                    Or Nori Aoki, bottom of the 7th, May 14, 2014, vs. Colorado.

Those plus Fuld are the six bunts in the last two seasons where the batter-runner has been called out for interference with the throw for running outside the lane. There are also some non-bunt batted balls that have produced the same ruling.

Comment

Where are you ElD?

A problem I have with the good people on this site that has existed since I joined is that when a person is called out for something wrong, mistake, etc. they disappear and very seldom own up to their incorrect assessment.

I have noticed this about very many posters here.

When you make a mistake, etc. own up to it, don't disappear.

Thanks
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        No, there is no exception for the bunt.

See Tyson Ross, bottom of the 2nd, May 14, vs. Washington. He was called out on a play similar to this one.
                        Or Alcides Escobar, bottom of the 4th, August 14, 2014, vs. Oakland.
                        Or Irving Falu, top of the 6th, July 12, 2014, vs. Dodgers.
                        Or Donovan Solano, bottom of the 5th, July 3, 2014, vs. Oakland.
                        Or Nori Aoki, bottom of the 7th, May 14, 2014, vs. Colorado.

Those plus Fuld are the six bunts in the last two seasons where the batter-runner has been called out for interference with the throw for running outside the lane. There are also some non-bunt batted balls that have produced the same ruling.
                        So it was a bad call..................
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm with Seitzer and the whiny guy: horrible call.
                          I can't see where Seitzer ever said it was a good or bad call...so not sure what you are agreeing with in relationship to KS.

It looks like the right call to me. I bet the two times in 2014 when the call was made in Oakland's favor they didn't try to correct the umpire for the "bad call".

Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                          X