Michael Taylor vs. Hunter Pence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Taylor vs. Hunter Pence

In an 11-team NL-only 4x4, for next year and beyond, who do you like better...Michael Taylor at $10 or Hunter Pence at $18, both in their first year

Pence

Comment

I will take the young Taylor plus the $8. Taylor will hit about the same hrs. Win the sbs and lose the ba (for now). I like Taylor's upside for the $10.

Comment

Pence, and it isn't close. There's no reason to assume that Taylor gets the full time gig next year, the Nats could re-sign Span, or go the free agent route. Pence has the undisputed job and has double digit steals for 6 of his big league seasons.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'd take Pence, but disagree with Horns that Taylor and $8 isn't close. The Nats could sign a big name FA, but I think there's little chance they'll sign Span.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Chance, the issue that I have with the "doing something with the 8 bucks" theory is that it often just goes to waste. Look at every auction that you've been in, people either left money on the table, or overpaid for mediocrities. I screwed the pooch in my auction this year, tossing 11 bucks at a Rusney Castillo that I couldn't keep because he was sent down..I also spent something like 35 bucks on Shark from the White Sox...so I essentially wasted 46 bucks. But I'm currently in 3rd or 4th, depending on the day in an 18 teamer. I made up for it in other ways. I'm probably going to start the auction 5 bucks shy next year because I'm not going to keep Moss at 13...

It's great to have money, but it's what you do with it that counts...AND what you do during the season.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Chance, the issue that I have with the "doing something with the 8 bucks" theory is that it often just goes to waste.
              I hear you, but 8 bucks more gives a margin of error over your other managers that shouldn't be discounted. All of us have made mistakes in auctions; I know I've made some legendary ones. OTOH, just about everyone on this board, and even more Ryno84MVP, is savvy enough to take advantage of extra cash more often than not. Admittedly, that's only opinion for the most part from me, as I've only done auction leagues against one guy on this board, and he kicked my butt.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Pence, and it isn't close. There's no reason to assume that Taylor gets the full time gig next year, the Nats could re-sign Span, or go the free agent route. Pence has the undisputed job and has double digit steals for 6 of his big league seasons.
                I don't see any reason to not assume Taylor gets the full time gig. T

his is a 4x4 league and Taylor will significantly steal more bases. He might even hit more home runs (at the least not be far behind).

As far as money goes $8 bucks is huge. I would consider it a bad draft if I ever left that much on the table. I think I may have left a total of 3 bucks in the last five years combined. I am not sure I have left any money on the table in the last 3 years.

I am not saying it is not close. I am a Pence fan. Given the parameters that Ryno set out, I would take Taylor.

That said I appreciate the dialog and you guys sharing your opinions even if I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Working...
                X