Nolan Ryan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nolan Ryan

Pretend it was the mid to late 70's, what do you think you would spend on Nolan Ryan in 5x5?
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Prob'ly about eleventy million dollars. However, note that I am four years old and not great with numbers yet.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thing is, he wasn't the only guy putting up numbers like that, and he usually played on crappy teams so his win totals were lower than Carlton, Seaver, Hunter, etc. He'd fetch a pretty penny but he'd be in the same ballpark as a few other guys -- how many would depend if you were playing AL-only or mixed.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        Prob'ly about eleventy million dollars. However, note that I am four years old and not great with numbers yet.
        nicely played.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
          Pretend it was the mid to late 70's, what do you think you would spend on Nolan Ryan in 5x5?
          Come join in the Vintage draft that is about ready to start and find out what he is worth!!!!

Comment

Ryan wasn't even the best or most valuable pitcher on his team, much less the whole AL. Frank Tanana was until his arm completely fell apart in '79. What Tanana did in '78, IMO, is one of the greatest unknown (and stupid) pitching accomplishments of all time.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Bad whip relative to other elites of that era? Just guessing

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Ryan wasn't even the best or most valuable pitcher on his team, much less the whole AL. Frank Tanana was until his arm completely fell apart in '79. What Tanana did in '78, IMO, is one of the greatest unknown (and stupid) pitching accomplishments of all time.
                so you're thinking that those 14 consecutive complete games in 1977 at age 23, in retrospect, might have been a little much?

and now I'm realizing that if you ask someone under 35 how long ago was the last team with 3 guys completing 20 games apiece, they'd probably guess something like 1952

instead of the real answer

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/1980.shtml
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The 1980s version of Ryan is probably a better roto value than the 1970s version.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    so you're thinking that those 14 consecutive complete games in 1977 at age 23, in retrospect, might have been a little much?

and now I'm realizing that if you ask someone under 35 how long ago was the last team with 3 guys completing 20 games apiece, they'd probably guess something like 1952

instead of the real answer

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/1980.shtml
                    Without looking, I'm going to guess that was the Billy Martin team where he pitched all their arms off?
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Without looking, I'm going to guess that was the Billy Martin team where he pitched all their arms off?
                      Yes. All to finish 83-79. That rotation was on the SI cover shortly thereafter, and all were out of baseball by 1987 (only Langford was older than 26 in 1980).
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                      X