Anatomy of a Trading Transformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy of a Trading Transformation

I had high hopes in 2015 with my squad. Pre-auction, I had the following potential keepers: Walker-18, Ramos-11, Marte-20, Stanton-40, Rosenthal-11, Casilla-9, Melancon-11 AGuererro-6, JZimmerman-24, Cole-15, Arrieta-11, Belt-20
    But, I felt I could improve, so my first trade prior to the auction was trading Cole-15 for Tomas (Minors...free, $5 when activated) (yes, in hindsight and error, but...) and then I traded Marte-20 for TRoss-6 and MTaylor (Minors)

So, my keepers were Ramos, Walker, Stanton, Belt, Rosenthal, Casilla, Melancon, Ross, Zimmerman, Arrieta and my minors were Tomas, Taylor, Peraza, Urias and Lamb

Won't get into the full details of the draft, but I ended up getting AGonzalez, Utley-20, Myers-17, AGuerrero-5, Werth-13, Hendricks-1, Aoki-7, Kang-2, Flores-1

My team underperformed out of the gate and injuries to Werth and Myers hurt, but I still felt I could move up if everyone just did what they were supposed to. So, I traded a FA pickup Axford($6) for Addison Russell-5 in one deal, Aoki for Gio Gonzalez-13 in another and then trying to get my pitching back, traded Casilla and Belt for Cole-15

Clearly, by that point, I was so far out of first and really didn't have too much with regard to cheap trading chips to get big name players, I decided to dump. In one mega deal, I traded Arrieta, Melancon, Rosenthal, Ramos, Walker, Stanton and AGonz and got KBryant-5, CBlackmon-11, CDickerson-9 and JP Crawford (Minors). Some owners thought I could get more by splitting them up, but I wouldn't have gotten Bryant and Blackmon in that deal if I did and I was targeting Bryant.

To continue on, I traded Cole, Gio and Zimmerman and received Schwarber (Minors), Polanco-10 and Duda-6

I was able to pick up Jose Reyes via FAAB and he will only cost me 6 next year.

Then, in my most recent deal, I traded Ross, Hendricks, AGuerrero and Werth for SMarte-20 and JHarrison-11.

So, in the end, my potential keepers are now: Duda-6, Bryant-5, Russell-5, Kang-2, Flores-1, Marte-20, Harrison-11, Blackmon-11, Dickerson-9, Taylor-5, Tomas-5, Lamb-5, Polanco-10, Reyes-6 and my minors are Schwarber, Crawford, Peraza, Urias and DSwanson

I know that's 14 non-minor players and we can only keep 10...I figure Lamb, Flores and Kang are on the outside looking in leaving me with 11 to pick from. And, before you ask, yes, I have intentionally avoided pitching keepers and will simply attack that at the auction. I will add that all players salaries will be bumped up $5, so, add $50 on top of what their current salaries are to make 10 of them keepers next year.

Anyway, thanks for reading...and I would appreciate any input, if you want.

so Harrison at 16, Russell at 10, Lamb at 10, Polanco at 15?

if so, you still have lots of bats but not necessarily a painful pruning process next spring

I'd also try to balance your roster a bit - if the bargains in the auction turn out to be heavy on the hitting side, you'd not be able to benefit - while getting stuck in the overpriced pitching price zone if it plays out that way. as the stockbrokers tell you - diversify!
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

A few thoughts:

1) You did just fine in the Bryant+Blackmon deal. Quality over quantity imo when it comes to keepers. The amount of talent involved in the deal probably caused some to jump to the conclusion that you traded too much.

2) The Schwarber+Duda+Polanco was a steal for you.

3) Your minor leaguers are ridiculously outstanding. Only way you can improve is to try to add Seager. Maybe in the offseason Flores+Lamb+Peraza for Seager?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
        A few thoughts:

1) You did just fine in the Bryant+Blackmon deal. Quality over quantity imo when it comes to keepers. The amount of talent involved in the deal probably caused some to jump to the conclusion that you traded too much.

2) The Schwarber+Duda+Polanco was a steal for you.

3) Your minor leaguers are ridiculously outstanding. Only way you can improve is to try to add Seager. Maybe in the offseason Flores+Lamb+Peraza for Seager?
        Funny you say that James...Some call me crazy and I'm pretty sure I overspent, but with our league keeper rules the way they are (+$5 each season for a keeper, no limit), I'm trying to build a dynasty with young talented players and I'll overspend sometimes to do it.
        That being said, I just completed the following deal before I saw this post...Flores-1, Lamb-5, Russell-5 and Tomas-5 for a minor league Seager ($5 when activated). Flores and Lamb were not going to be keepers, so essentially it was Russell and Tomas for a free Seager.
        Schwarber will likely hit our 150AB limit, so, I'll activate him and he will be a keeper for me. So, my keepers are now likely: Schwarber, Duda, Bryant, Reyes, Blackmon, Dickerson, Polanco, Marte, Taylor and then either Harrison/Kang with 'free' players being Seager, Peraza, Crawford, Urias and Swanson.

And, the total cost going into auction will either be $124 if I keep Kang or $131 if I keep Harrison.

Comment

Working...
        X