Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verlander's Balk...what was that all about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verlander's Balk...what was that all about?

So, Verlander plunks DeJesus on the butt. He jumped off the rubber before doing it, so there's no pitch, just a balk. The runner on first goes to second, but for DeJesus it's a non-event. No ball, no strike, no hit-by-pitch...nada.

Here's my question...did Verlander have this thought out and just decide to plunk DeJesus when he thought there would be virtually no penalty? I didn't see the game, but I can't see anyone wanting to hit DeJesus on spec.

Anybody have a good read on this? Was it comedy or drama?

no idea, but when I watched the highlight last night it was high comedy for me ... he must have given an interview after explained what he was trying to do???
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

He was trying to throw to first but didn't get his body set, and then he did something silly.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Jack Moore does some good detective work to explain it here:
        One of the more bizarre plays I’ve seen by a pitcher occurred during Saturday’s tilt between the Oakland Athletics and the Detroit Tigers. With Daric Barton on first base and David DeJesus batting…
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Jack Moore does some good detective work to explain it here:
          http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ckoff-attempt/
          Kevin Seitzer: a dependable source of good information.

Comment

Working...
          X