NL-only dump deal (Kershaw and Gomez)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-only dump deal (Kershaw and Gomez)

Last year at this time I picked up Kershaw (A, $35) and C. Gomez (B, $27) in my NL-only, $260 5x5 keeper, 23-man roster, 11-team league but paid a hefty price - it cost AJ Pollock (A, $13), Tyler Clippard (A, $1 - didn't hurt when he signed with A's), and two farm players ($5 when they are called up - Archie Bradley and Oscar Taveras (RIP)). Kershaw and Gomez helped propel me to the pennant.

This year my team is floundering (currently in sixth spot) even with Kershaw and Gomez on my roster, yet only 5.5 points out of the money. Both those players are having subpar years by their standards. Our trading deadline is the end of this month, and with Gomez's expiring contract I wanted to get something.

The offers were pretty poor up to now, when I got a bite from the third place team. It may not be the best return, but with those two not having seasons we're accustomed to, and figuring this was the best I could do, I pulled the trigger.

I traded Gomez (expiring contract), Kershaw (B, $35), Segura (A, $19), and Ruiz (A, $5 - my catching SUCKS (my other catcher is Susac (A, $10)/Bethancourt (A, $1)), and got

Myers (A, $14 - two year of wrist injuries (I dunno that he's a keeper next year), but it give me a "natural opening" to activate Soler), Realmuto (A, $6), Schwarber (farm - will activate him today and waive Susac/Bethancourt), Hechavarria (A, $1), and Jason Hammel (A, $5 - meh ... having a good year, but he's Jason Hammel!). I have to activate Schwarber because we only allow three farm players and I have Giolioto, JP Crawford, and Peraza on the farm. I see value and potential profit next year in Schwarber, Hechavarria, and possibly Realmuto, with the "wildcard" in Myers.

I could have waited, but there is little trading activity in this league. The first place team wanted to give me Peavy, Bolsinger, Morrow, and Bradley in return for Kershaw; laughing, I walked away from that "deal". The second place owner is a notoriously poor trader - always wants your best player for a hill of beans (see the first place offer for Kershaw); I told him I was willing to trade but he never got back to me.

Thoughts? By posting in this forum I know I open myself to criticism, but I'd rather hear it and learn than sit back and bask in my ignorance.
    Last edited by kawaise; 07-17-2015, 02:01 PM. Reason: ETA
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

A $35 Kershaw is actually a really good keeper. So you need to make sure you get a lot for him. I really like Schwarber. I think Hechevarria is a useful keeper and I actually think Hammel is worth keeping too. I don't think this is a bad deal at all given your restrictions. But it's pretty ugly to get 1 good keeper for 2 of the best 15 or so players in the NL. If Gomez is one, which, who knows?

Comment

Eh, not a great haul unless Schwarber maintains C eligibility for next year - then it's okay. Hammel and Hech will at least get you some profit next year and Myers is too risky to count on for much. If that's the best you could do then so be it, but are you positive you didn't have a chance to get back in the money? This looks more like a trade a 10th place team would do.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Eh, not a great haul unless Schwarber maintains C eligibility for next year - then it's okay. Hammel and Hech will at least get you some profit next year and Myers is too risky to count on for much. If that's the best you could do then so be it, but are you positive you didn't have a chance to get back in the money? This looks more like a trade a 10th place team would do.
        Oh, I think I had a chance at third place - which I would have finished in the money (but essentially break even).

* My thinking Segura = Hech (minus the steals, but I'm leading the league by a LARGE margin in steals); I didn't see Segura as a keeper at $19.
        * My catching improved immensely (but that's saying little). I could immediately activate Schwarber and not lose one of my three farm players; if I kept him on the farm I would have to waive one of Giolito, Crawford, or Peraza - I didn't want to do that.
        * It gave me a natural opening to activate Soler (otherwise I would have had to waive him at $11 or waive one of the following: Polanco ($5), Taylor ($5 - probably the one to waive, but at a nice price), D. Peralta ($3), J. Upton ($26), or Granderson ($10)).
        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

yeah, the guy who owned Kershaw in our league for the last 3 years finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th paying $43 for him.

he went for $44 in auction this year, and when I acquired him this month, I am thinking I could possibly keep him.

if Kershaw was a lame duck and you have uncooperative leaders, sometimes you have to settle. but I'd rather have Kershaw alone for that price than the package you got, possibly. as noted, depends on Schwarber
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            A $35 Kershaw is actually a really good keeper.
            JC - I thought he was a lock as a keeper going into the auction. However, I picked up Rizzo for $33 and I think that limited my options, especially once Kershaw and Gomez underperformed (by their standards) and I lost M. Adams to injury. In some ways I went stars a scrubs (also rostering J. Upton for $26, Gomez for $27, Segura at $19, and M. Adams for $18). I typically don't pick up two higher salaried players - this year reminds me why. I think Rizzo is a keeper at $33; I didn't think keeping Kershaw at $35 was wise for me next year.

Trust me, my pride has taken a hit, but maybe I tried too hard to convince myself I had to get something now. I tried to trade Kershaw during the winter and got absolutely no interest. If I couldn't trade him after last season, there's NO WAY I could trade him in this coming off season.

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
              Oh, I think I had a chance at third place - which I would have finished in the money (but essentially break even).

* My thinking Segura = Hech (minus the steals, but I'm leading the league by a LARGE margin in steals); I didn't see Segura as a keeper at $19.
              * My catching improved immensely (but that's saying little). I could immediately activate Schwarber and not lose one of my three farm players; if I kept him on the farm I would have to waive one of Giolito, Crawford, or Peraza - I didn't want to do that.
              * It gave me a natural opening to activate Soler (otherwise I would have had to waive him at $11 or waive one of the following: Polanco ($5), Taylor ($5 - probably the one to waive, but at a nice price), D. Peralta ($3), J. Upton ($26), or Granderson ($10)).
              yeah being forced to cut a really good guy there makes this look a lot better

Comment

Bump.

Almost a month later and ....

My team is BETTER by making the trade by 4.5 points. Currently I'm in 3rd place in the standings, 4.5 points out of second, and 5 points out of first. My team has improved 8 points in hitting vs. not making the trade.

Jeff's team is BETTER by 2.5 points after making the trade. Kershaw, of course, has been a beast. His team has improved 8 points alone in pitching vs. not making the trade. He's currently in second. He lost Gomez when Gomez was traded to the AL.

Projections have the title race being dead even, with me finishing a strong third.

No sellers remorse as of yet.

Comment

Working...
                X