Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NL-Only 12team 4x4 Keeper League (DeGrom $4-s1 or Hamilton $11-s1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-Only 12team 4x4 Keeper League (DeGrom $4-s1 or Hamilton $11-s1)

NL-Only 12team 4x4 Keeper League, which would you rather have with all other things being equal?

DeGrom $4-s1
    or
    Hamilton $11-s1

s1's are entering their option year in 2016, so would have to be extended or 2016 will be their last year.
    DeGrom $4-s1
    0%
    Hamilton $11-s1
    0%

DeGrom for me. I know some will say hitters over pitchers, always. But Degrom is $7 cheaper, and, while he has risks as a pitcher, Hamilton does too. Despite his total dominance in steals, he could hit so poorly that he loses ABs at some point.

Comment

This is a 4x4 so I take Hamilton and win the category.

Doesn't Hamilton's glove plus speed pretty much guarantee him playing time?

Comment

Maybe Jesse Winker could take over in CF? Or the Reds could decide they're happy with a Brennan Boesch type out there?

It is really, really hard to pass up Hamilton in a 4x4 league. This is a tough one. I wish Hamilton was showing any sign of learning how to hit.

Even in 400 ABs he probably earns $20+ in a 4x4. Degrom is an amazing pitcher but he's already 27 and has TJ in his history.

I'd probably keep whichever of them I had for fear of being wrong. If I had neither I'd take Degrom and just commit to a massive overpay for steals... but really, where are you going to get them? Gordon is going to be a long-term keeper. Marte might be too. Ben Revere is trade bait this year. The NL steals scene is rough.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Maybe Jesse Winker could take over in CF? Or the Reds could decide they're happy with a Brennan Boesch type out there?

It is really, really hard to pass up Hamilton in a 4x4 league. This is a tough one. I wish Hamilton was showing any sign of learning how to hit.

Even in 400 ABs he probably earns $20+ in a 4x4. Degrom is an amazing pitcher but he's already 27 and has TJ in his history.

I'd probably keep whichever of them I had for fear of being wrong. If I had neither I'd take Degrom and just commit to a massive overpay for steals... but really, where are you going to get them? Gordon is going to be a long-term keeper. Marte might be too. Ben Revere is trade bait this year. The NL steals scene is rough.
          Yep.

4x4 and NL only makes a huge difference.

Comment

I'm not familiar with nl only 4x4 dynamics. If steals are really that rare and pricey, then I guess I will flip my answer to Hamilton. I still don't trust him as a hitter, but if he really will earn $20+ even if he ends up with 400 abs, that is a hell of a high floor.

Comment

I'm the one that has Hamilton and was offered DeGrom for Hamilton, and I'm also in the "stand-pat for fear of being wrong on this one" camp at this point.

(Funny, if you read the comments in this thread, I lean towards Hamilton, but when I look the poll results it's 5 for DeGrom and only 2 for Hamilton.)

Comment

This is a very interesting question for me as I own both in a 4x4 NL only at $10 and both need to be extended next year. I had to think long and hard about your question....

deGrom has been outstanding and contributes in 3/4 categories. He is in a group of about 10 NL starters. Billy and Gordon are far away at the top of the steals heap. Billy contributes in 1/4 categories.

In the end I voted for Billy as it is just so nice to go into the auction not having to chase and overpay for steals. I think flexibility at the auction is hugely underrated and should be a strong consideration in your decision.

For my team I plan to extend deGrom 2 years and Billy 3 years and should get good value from both. My only hesitation is that a Billy injury is probably more damaging than a deGrom injury.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  I've joked about it before but the risk that Hamilton is demoted or benched or whatever is extremely real. He is just a really, really terrible hitter. I mean like blind catcher bad. He even somehow looks like he's managing to get worse at the plate, as scary a thought as that is. You would have to be crazy to extend him for three years, imo. While I certainly wouldn't mind having him on my team, particularly in a 4x4, deGrom is actually good --- he's actually really good. Hamilton is like Scott Podsednik but without the hitting ability and a little more SB ability. Yeah, no thanks to any extension (or to trading for him).

Exit: jc made a good point a while back that Hamilton is good enough defensively to stick regardless of his hitting. That's a great point that shouldn't be forgotten in this analysis. Of course that profile didn't work out so well for Tony Gwynn, Jr. but still....
                  I understand your point and am in the middle as far as extensions go. If I owned both at the salaries mentioned, I would give them both a year and not more. I would use the extra money at auction. No way would I go two and three years.

Comment

Billy would go for far more than $15 at auction which would be the one year extension salary. For 5x5 it's a different story, but for 4x4 he is worth a lot more.

He's struggled with bunting and thats the key to raising his OBP. He's too good of an athlete to not get better at that skill.

Comment

Working...
                    X